Q&A Wood Stove -- Air Circulation Information wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am building a year-round home/cottage with primary heat a free standing wood stove (probably Vermont Casting, outside air etc.) in a cathedral ceiling design. I need to recirculate the heated air from the main area (1000 sq ft of open design) to the other rooms on the main floor and lower level through a forced air circulation system. Has anyone designed a system to draw the air from the ceiling area Any ideas? Thanks

Answer:

I've seen small units that hang near the ceiling and force air down through a tube made of cloth, but these are just for keeping the temperature even in the same room. If your house is open and well-insulated, then you may not even need such a system.

Some fan companies, like Nutone, make room to room fans that install in the wall between two rooms. You could also rig up your own system to take the heat off the upper level of one room, and drop it down (fan and duct in the wall between studs) and deliver it at floor area in the other room.

Status
Not open for further replies.