wood stove barrel stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crossout

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2010
lakeview michigan
They could have at least used a better newer lookin barrel.

wk that is a 7.7 cubic foot wood stove. Ought to be great.

Hmmm... Poor man's Elm? :lol:

Anyone here remember those 'barrel stove kits' that Sotz Co. put out back about 30 yrs ago? They were from Ohio,dont recall where however.They also were famous for their 15lb Monster Maul (plenty of knockoffs came later after the patents expired.2 or 3 different ones out now that I know of). I was still in High School when I got my first MM,would see their ads in Mother Earth News,and a few woodworking & outdoor magazines also.

They sold hardware kits for both 30 & 55 gallon barrels,single or double.

Burned in a 55 gal. barrel stove in the basement of this place for years. I think there is still a new kit on a shelf in the garage.

That's cool.

BrotherBart said:
Burned in a 55 gal. barrel stove in the basement of this place for years. I think there is still a new kit on a shelf in the garage.

That is friggin amazing man. BB you truly are a wizard of wood burning. How did that thing burn? What's the cf of 55 gal barrel? did you fill it up ever? How long did it last?

BrotherBart said:
wk that is a 7.7 cubic foot wood stove. Ought to be great.

Hmmm... Poor man's Elm? :lol:
I've never burned one but everyone I've ever talked to that has, said they can really put out the heat. Guess I'm buy into it with the Elm. BTW might have time to make the switch over in a couple days.

DaFattKidd said:
BrotherBart said:

That is friggin amazing man. BB you truly are a wizard of wood burning. How did that thing burn? What's the cf of 55 gal barrel? did you fill it up ever? How long did it last?

That thing was something else, I tell ya. Burned one way. Hotter than hell. Sides glowing on occasion. One thing I can say for it. After burning in it for several years those flue tiles were as clean and orange as the day they were made. When I put the next stove in I didn't even have to brush the chimney. Eventually I pulled it out of there and added the top barrel kit. Cut doors in the ends of the top barrel and put racks in it and made a big ass meat smoker out of it. You could smoke a half of a pig in it.

One of the things really messed up a guy I worked with. When he bought the house one was in the basement. One night wrestling with a log in it he got his arms caught in the door frame and ended up in the hospital with some major burns. Having burned in one I can see how it could happen. With it and the Elm both with those really deep fireboxes.

Be careful out there folks.

LOL? Show a little respect, grasshopper.

Those barrel stoves have done yeoman service and kept plenty of folks from freezing their butts off when that was all they had. I wintered with one long ago in a ridiculously large, poorly-built cabin a mile from nowhere in the middle of Alaska and I've got nothing but gratitude for that stove. If may still be in service, for all I know. Also had a wood cookstove there that was the apple of my eye, stove-wise. Never cooked in an oven or on a range that out-did it.

Kids nowadays . . .

snowleopard said:
LOL? Show a little respect, grasshopper.

"Accept the ways of others. Respect first your own."

- Master Po

Status
Not open for further replies.