wood stove blower rattling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dorlow

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
I have a US Stove 2000 wood stove. I just put it in just before the winter and bought it brand new. Now, a few weeks ago, I wanted to get the blower to turn off automatically when the fire went out. I bought a sensor off of ebay that had to be put inline with the hot wire on the blower. My first attempt, I took the blower off and took it apart and cut the hot wire, ran it out a hole that I drilled in the side of the blower to the side of the stove and back in to the blower that turned the blower on and off when it was going from cold to hot and vice versa. It worked, except I was extremely paranoid about running a hot 120v AC wire to a sensor on the side of a temperature hot stove that could easily melt the wire and electrocute me. Also, where the hot wire connected to the sensor, it was unprotected, and I cound't find a way to protect it, so I had two bare hot wires connecting to the sensor on the side of the wood stove with kids running around. Figured I was asking for trouble.

So, after researching it a little, I finally decided it was safer to find a way to switch the outlet and I undid everything I did inside the blower. I put the wire back. I have one extra wire nut on the inside.

I ended up just dishing out $60 or something for a factory made switch for the heat, because I was still paranoid even when I made a switching outlet that I had to switch the hot wire and the hot wire had to touch a hot stove... seemed dangerous.

But, none the less, I put the stove back the way it was but still I did mess with it and it's not 100% factory anymore because I did open it and there is an extra wire nut on the inside. But the wood stove's blower will work fine for hours or days at times, then all the sudden it will start vibrating and rattling. I can get it to stop by reaching behind the stove and changing the RPMs of the blower and it will fix it for a few hours or days and then it will start rattling again.

I'm thinking my only real fix will be to buy a new blower. But, those things are like $200. Does anyone have a creative way to get it to stop rattling by paddening it somehow with something that isn't sensitive to heat? Or does someone know where to buy a replacement blower or an aftermarket blower that isn't $200. Maybe more like $50?

Ours rattles on and off sometimes on high speed.....it's from the trim piece on the front lip of the stove....I put my finger on it and it stops, thats how I tracked it down....just feel around and see exactly where it's coming from. I've tried different things such as trying to tighten the trim to the lip (squeeze with pliers)....no luck, so I just back down the speed a little and it stops. I also had a heck of a time trying to get the blower to sit right under the stove.....mine is an insert, and there is zero clearance from the bottom of the stove to the heart, and the blower has tabs that need to go under the stove....had to slightly lift it while the Wife slid in the blower. I have heard of some that had rivets break, or come loose from the blower motor mounts....might want to check that.

Everything in our blower is screws holding it together. There are no rivets. I put all the screws back in. It's coming from the blower. I tightened down the screws snug. I didn't reef on them but they're not loose either. So, I guess I don't know what to do to make it right other than buy another blower that's not been modified, but $100 on a blower is a lot... So, I'll wait until I can't stand it anymore (or my wife isn't looking at the checkbook)

the one on our englander rattles from time to time.I just hit it and it quits. I never remember to check it out when the stove is cooled down.

I think I figured it out. I don't think it's anything to do with me taking it apart. I found when it was really hot and started rattling, I took my fire poker and pryed up on the heat deflector sheet metal just a little and made it go away.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Status
Not open for further replies.