Wood stove chimney install on This Old House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
Yesterday I caught the show. They did a segment on a chimney install for a wood stove. The home owner said he had grown up with a stove and wanted to heat with wood again. The installer explained the chimney parts he was using. There were a few things I have never seen or heard of. First was the a double wall uninsulated, vented pipe. I think this was going the be used from the stove up to the ceiling. Then they used a few double wall insulated connectors that could be rotated to be 45 degrees. It was not a straight shot up to the roof. I think they were going through a chase on the second floor. They showed cutting out the roof and installing the roof flashing. Another thing they did that I hadn't heard of. When stacking the double wall sections, they put a bead of what was described as 2000 degree sealant at the bottom of each connection. The pipe looked to be Dura flue that I have.

What do you pros think about there install.

I think this was a current show, and you may be able to find it on line.