Wood stove clearance for brick hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandra3

Feb 5, 2009
NE PA
Hi I need some help. I currently have a Franklin stove that contains an LP gas log set. I want to buy a wood stove to replace it. I know I have to have the chimney inspected and probably lined, but the dealer for the stove is telling me I don't have the clearance. The wall behind the stove is 4" thick brick - floor to ceiling. The hearth area is also brick and is 50" wide and 36" deep from the brick wall. I'm looking at the Hearthstone Tribute or Craftsbury. I've searched many sites and need to know what the rear clearanc to the brick wall should be. The manuals indicate that I just make it, but the dealer says no. Help! The propane cost, moisture and soot is killing me! I had a wood stove in my last house and I miss it! Thanks!

Depends on what's behind the brick. Rick

If the wall construction behind the brick facade is combustible, and the manufacturer's CTC requirements for the new stove don't make any allowance for reducing basic clearances, then the stated rear clearance for the stove must be measured from the combustible material as if the brick weren't even there. Of course, the hearth requirements must also be factored in. A pic of the location would help a lot, as would a more detailed description of the dealer's specific reasons for saying what he's saying. Rick

Thanks for all the info! I found an installer that used to work for this dealer. He said they tend to oversell. Based on the year built he's fairly certain there is cement board under the hearth bricks and behind the wall brick. He's coming by next week to take a look. He was actually recommended by another store that doesn't deliver to my area, but they highly recommend him and I'm familiar with their reputation so I'm confident that he'll give me good advice. Now all I have to do is decide on a stove and figure a way to get rid of the old Franklin!

Sandra

36" deep hearth isn't much at all. The trick will be convincing the authority to measure from the first combustible surface as Fossil states rather than from the face of the brick.

In the US, the tribute requires a 34" deep hearth (rear clearance of 8") and the craftsbury requires a 41" hearth(rear clearance of 12"). All minimums from the manufacturer's site.

The tribute is a slam dunk. Tiny stove though at 1.2 CF and I wouldn't buy one for a heater.

Check out the PE line for extremely tight rear clearance requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.