Wood Stove Clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
I just need to know does the wood stove clearance have to be applied also if I have a concrete floor and a non combustible material behind the stove.

Is that concrete floor sitting directly on dirt? What is the wall behind the stove made of? If there is any combustibles in or behind the wall, then yes.

Clearances are generally in reference to combustible material. No worrys about the concrete floor and a noncombustible (concrete?) wall behind the stove.

The wall behind the stove is the brick chimney that I use for the flue of my stove

The little pic/diagram on the metal tag on the back of the stove will let you know how close you can get it to anything that is combustible in a wall, ceiling or floor.

From my understanding I do not have to worry about clearance since the floor is concrete and the back wall is the chimney.

I am thinking of extending the pad I have the stove on by a foot so more air can circulate behind the stove and maybe I have more
heat to heat the house. Is this a good thought or am I wasting my time.

It might work. It will increase your horizontal run of pipe though and that will probably mean more creosote. It will also radiate more heat into the room from the extra pipe. You may find that your old problem of draft control goes away.

So you have the stove sitting in front of the fireplace with the flue pipe tied into the chimney through the fireplace, correct? If you have a block off plate or insulation sealing around the flue so that warm air can't escape from the house, into the chimney cavity, then I don't think moving the stove is going to make any difference. If the old smoke shelf area is not sealed/insulated well, then try that first.
Can you move the stove out and still maintain proper run/rise on the pipe?
Are you circulating air with a fan now? Ceiling fans and floor fans on low, blowing cold air toward the stove, distribute heat very well for most people!
If the stove is on concrete, does that mean it is a basement install or just a slab house?

Status
Not open for further replies.