Wood stove flue heat recovery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockport Bill

Dec 13, 2007
Brockport, New York
I am looking for info for installing a flue air to water heat exchanger type heat recovery on my quadrafire 5700 for heating my domestic hot water to alleviate propane consumption on my boiler. I do not know if there is anything that is even worth while and most important... safe. Thank you for any info Bill

A long time ago someone posted a picture of some copper pipe wrapped around their stove pipe that lead to a water storage tank. Don't know how well it would work and I'd think you would need some kind of pressure relief valve somewhere. It also might cool the stove exhaust in the pipe to where the draft may be effected?

unless your stove is an old-pre EPA rated and inefficient (obviously yours is not) then it is best not to add anything to the connector pipe that will remove any more heat from the flue gases. The stove is getting to be about as efficient as possible and still maintain draft and keep creosote to a minimum

But what if you didn't mount it on the flue pipe because it would cause it to cool causing creosote issues,but instead just had a simple coil of copper sitting behind wood stove (I have an insert in my fireplace) that would transfer heat to your hot water heater without causing any issue except maybe a little condinsation that would be evaporated and welcomed in the room.. It doesn't have to be elaborate but something simple that can just raise the temp of your hot water heater by who knows, 20-40 degrees and maybe more.. This should help keep the furnace from constantly cycling on as the temp.in the tank drops below a certain point. It's quicker to heat already warm water.

Status
Not open for further replies.