Wood stove for a very small space

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Richard Pryor

Mar 6, 2017
Oregon
I currently use a Regency F1100 in an 18x20 space. I have few complaints about the stove. For such a small space, once I crank it up it heats the whole room very quickly and if I'm not careful it will be a living hell in the blink of an eye. But I'm guessing in a space that small this would be true of most stoves.

One of the complaints is that it doesn't go for long and the room is cold in the morning unless I jam pack it before I go to sleep. And if I do that, the room gets too hot during the night even if I put the stove on slow burn mode.

I have 2 rooms that I'd like to heat in my house (under construction currently). First room is a home theater room on the first floor. That room is aprox 24x18 with a 9ft tall flat ceiling. It will serve as the primary source of heat even though it will have its own Mitsubishi wall unit.

2g1zwdj.png

The other room is the living room/kitchen and it will be part of a Mitsubishi forced air system. The way i understand it, though, is that you can control the temperatures separately in all rooms. The wood stove will serve as a heat source if power goes out and it will also be an ambience piece when visit comes over. I might also need it when temps drop since the main heating is a heat pump/forced air unit and has no furnace. This area is aprox 28x22 with 9ft ceilings vaulted with a 7/12 pitch.

gyp7n9R.png

Even though the official position of the forum is that they don't favor one brand or the other, it's pretty obvious that blaze king reins over the rest. But a quick glance at their website suggests that all of their stoves might be overkill for either of my spaces. Is this an accurate statement?

I'd also like to point out that looks are somewhat important for the living room stove but not as much for the home theatre stove.

Can I please get a few names for me to look into and also confirm/contradict my findings?

TYVM

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the first floor partially under ground? I dont see a way to provide for an OAK. Might be something to consider before construction being new and probably fairly airtight.

Outside Air Kit. Is the first floor on a slab?

Crawlspace? The garage is obviously on concrete. I dont see a step up. Your plans are a little unorthodox to what Im accustomed.

Do you have a front elevation in your plans?

OAK should be no problem should you choose to use one. So you will have a deck around the upper floor?

Is a fresh air supply connected directly to the stove. Most new stoves come with a provision for hookup. Being new modern construction, your home may not breathe enough. Other benefits are lessened draft in distant rooms around windows and doors. Lessened effects on stove from outside exhausting appliances such as dryers, range hoods and ventilation fans. I use one and do not regret it.