Wood stove & House temperatures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roospike

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
Eastern Nebraska
With all the talk on wood stove temperatures and thermometers I thought i would share how we do it keeping our house adjusted and how to run the wood stove. Works perfect .

First of all we dont have a wood stove thermometer and this is how we gauge the burning temps. We have a "temp base wall" and hanging on the wall we have all the digital read outs around the house . All the main base thermometers have 2 remote sensors ( up to 3 can be added ) and 2 temp are displayed per unit. The top main unit show 3 temps as one stays on at 1 temp and the other flashes between two remote sensor units out side. The main unit shows Max and min temps of the day and rests every 24 hours. The clock is one of them update time reading thing a ma bopers and also show the day and month.

Picture #1 shows the "temperature wall" with all the wireless base readouts and a little wooden local to the wall temp reading and middle of the house & read out of humidity.

Picture #2 shows what 1 of the wireless digital remote sensors look like X 7 total units.

Picture #3 shows what each digital temperature is reading. The out side temperature flashes between two remote sensors of the out side temp and under the house crawl space temp ( for the really cold days/nights)

Watching the temps of the house and out side lets up make suddle moves of the wood stove per the dapmer and of loading logs into the stove. Having the digital "Temp base wall" its easy to control the house temperatures. Just thought i would share.

Attachments

• Base.JPG
    Base.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 559
  • Wireless.JPG
    Wireless.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 576
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 598
Roospike said:
With all the talk on wood stove temperatures and thermometers I thought i would share how we do it keeping our house adjusted and how to run the wood stove. Works perfect .

First of all we dont have a wood stove thermometer and this is how we gauge the burning temps. We have a "temp base wall" and hanging on the wall we have all the digital read outs around the house . All the main base thermometers have 2 remote sensors ( up to 3 can be added ) and 2 temp are displayed per unit. The top main unit show 3 temps as one stays on at 1 temp and the other flashes between two remote sensor units out side. The main unit shows Max and min temps of the day and rests every 24 hours. The clock is one of them update time reading thing a ma bopers and also show the day and month.

Picture #1 shows the "temperature wall" with all the wireless base readouts and a little wooden local to the wall temp reading and middle of the house & read out of humidity.

Picture #2 shows what 1 of the wireless digital remote sensors look like X 7 total units.

Picture #3 shows what each digital temperature is reading. The out side temperature flashes between two remote sensors of the out side temp and under the house crawl space temp ( for the really cold days/nights)

Watching the temps of the house and out side lets up make suddle moves of the wood stove per the dapmer and of loading logs into the stove. Having the digital "Temp base wall" its easy to control the house temperatures. Just thought i would share.

Thats Great!

I thought I was the only anal thermometer guy out there.

Sandor said:

Hmmm...

Sandor,

you might be the only one to admit it... :)

My wife would send me to the funny farm if I did that! :lol:

Thats Great!

You might get more accurate room temp readings by removing the anal probe. :bug: :cheese:

just kiddin - i couldn't resist with a line like that.

I'm going to install a remote thermometer in our crawlspace to monitor temps there relative to the outside temps.

The more time I spend on this site the more I like the people here, mainly because they are as nutty as I am. I just got two LaCrosse weather station with three temp and humidity sensors. One is in the shop by the pressure tank, one is in the crawl space and one is in the unoccupied suite we have. It's nice to know there are others like me!

Ha , Only a wood stove user would understand ......... right ? The set up is not only to monitor the temps its to control the house.

We have 2 ceiling fans in the front room , a window fan hanging from the ceiling at the stairs between the front room to the kitchen/back room/computer room. The ceiling fan closest tot he stove is always on up / low and the other ceiling fan is normally off on the other side of the room. The fan hanging buy the stairs has 2 fans running most of the time pushing air in to the back of the house ( kitchen/backroom/computerroom) When it get a lot colder we turn both fans on form the hanging fan to push air tot he back of the house.

At dinner time and when we are cooking in the kitchen , the kitchen warms up so we turn the hanging fan off and the extra heat now goes straight up the stairs and warms the bed rooms from 65° to 74° vs heating the back room and the kitchen.

Before bed time and the kitchen starts to cool we turn 1 of the 2 fans from the hanging fan by the stairs back on pushing warm air to the back and kitchen. Now some of the heat goes up the stairs and some goes to the back of the house. By controlling 2 ceiling fans and the hanging fan (with two fans on it ) we can control the heat in the whole house watching the “temp base wall” with the digital readouts of the different points of the home.

Monitoring the outside temps lets up see #1 how cold it is and #2 how fast its heating up out side and how fast its cooling off when the temperatures drop letting us gauge how much wood to use and how hot to fire the wood stove.

Pictured is showing the front room with the stove and the two motor "hanging fan" by the stairs between the front room and the back of the house controlling 70% of the homes heat flow. The front room ceiling fans do the rest.

Attachments

• PIC00017.JPG
    PIC00017.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 439
Looks like a good setup Spike. Is there an opening behind the hanging fans?

BrotherBart said:
Looks like a good setup Spike. Is there an opening behind the hanging fans?
The ceiling from the front room to where the stairs and into the kitchen is all 8' tall. You see the front room and the stairs but just past the stairs is the kitchen and off the kitchen is the computer room and the sucken back room. The stairs are in the middle of the house.

wahoowad said:
Sandor,

Man, I just read my post and YIKES.

Hope you all enjoyed a laugh on me!

Sandor said:
wahoowad said:
Sandor,

I knew that would be a kick in the butt, pun intended, when you got home.

Sandor said:
Thats Great!

Sandor said:
wahoowad said:
Sandor,

Why YES, Yes we did . Thanks. I just want to know probe or wireless digital remote sensor is your favorite ? ..............On second thought , never mind. :lol:

Roospike said:
Sandor said:
Thats Great!

Sandor said:
wahoowad said:
Sandor,

Why YES, Yes we did . Thanks. I just want to know probe or wireless digital remote sensor is your favorite ? ..............On second thought , never mind. :lol:

Oh great.... another thing to spend time researching on the web. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.