wood stove in shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic6048

Mar 1, 2009
Central MA
Hi I'm looking for a cheap way to vent my wood stove in my 20X16 shed. I have heated it in the last 3 years with an insulated pipe through the wall to a single wall tee and up 10-12ft with regular single wall stove pipe. This rots every year and produces so much liquid creosote that it runs back down the pipe into the shed and stinks ,not to mention the danger. I have been looking at class a stainless but it will cost almost 1000$ to do.......its a shed, is there a cheaper way to do this???? I'm thinking for like 300$?

Thanks for any help Pete

I suspect that the only safe way to do this is with ClassA (unless of course you build a 'real' chimney there - that would be quite a site on your shed eh?). However, my thought in reading your post is "why do you have so much liquid creosote in the first place" - i.e. what stove are you burning in there and why is it burning such that it has so much to condense?

he's got all that creosote because he has single wall pipe on the outside. it's like running your stove pipe thru a freezer.

btw money wise it would be cheaper to put up a masonry chimney. just time consuming and labor.

Maybe, just maybe it has something to do with his well seasoned wood? after all it is, well, from this season! All poking fun aside, that much buildup is very dangerous. what kinda stove is feeding that pipe anyways?

the stove is an "all nighter" mid moe. I also suspect the single wall pipe generates the creosote mixed with condensation. This only happens when is choked down for the night.

I think you have your cause and an alternate solution staring right at you then.

Slow1's got it, pipe in the freezer and a choked down fire all night? creosote factory. especially dangerous in the fact its in a shed, with the flue you have, a chimney fire could turn into a whole lot more before anyone was the wiser!

Keep in mind the pipe isn't generating the creosote - it is just providing a place for it to condense and collect. Even if you put in nice ClassA insulated pipe there I'll bet you will still have a problem, just perhaps less obvious.

I hope you have good clearance to combustibles around that shed.

It's a shed. I'm assuming open-beam ceiling (no attic). Can you abandon the outside chimney and run your singlewall pipe INSIDE up to the roof? If you don't have the clearance for singlewall, use doublewall - I'm assuming it's still cheaper than Class A. Then use Class A on the Ext. portion only. Use the proper thimble, box, or whatever to go through the roof. Should cost less than all that Class A running outside the shed.

Also, why choke down the fire for the nite if it's a shed, unless you're sleeping in the shed? (Like being in the doghouse, only a little warmer?).

Peace,
- Sequoia

TreePapa said:
It's a shed. I'm assuming open-beam ceiling (no attic). Can you abandon the outside chimney and run your singlewall pipe INSIDE up to the roof? If you don't have the clearance for singlewall, use doublewall - I'm assuming it's still cheaper than Class A. Then use Class A on the Ext. portion only. Use the proper thimble, box, or whatever to go through the roof. Should cost less than all that Class A running outside the shed.

Also, why choke down the fire for the nite if it's a shed, unless you're sleeping in the shed? (Like being in the doghouse, only a little warmer?).

Peace,
- Sequoia

Well the choke down is to keep the stuff I'm working on(snowmobiles and what have you) a bit warm as well as not having to start a fresh fire in the morning.

Your right thats 'bout the cheapest way to do this proper

Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.