Wood Stove Insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njdrt-rdr

Nov 18, 2007
NJ
I've been in my house 9 years and it has a wood burning insert. It's a Country Comfort stove made in 1986, model cc100. I usually call the chimney sweep in to sweep the liner. But this year figured I'd do it myself. I opened the flue lever and noticed it didn't operate as smooth as normal. I thought mabe I had a birds nest.
Anyway. I wanted to get a look at the pipe from the inside of the stove. There's a metal plate attached to the top of the inside of the box. I took the screws down and took it out. On top of that is a piece of insulation. The insualtion is beat up and ripped right at the flue opening which is why it was not moving smoothly.
Anyway, I want to replace the piece of insulation, but I can't seem to find anyone that can help me get a new one. I've been to two wood stove places. The first said they weren't sure they could get it and would call me if they could. I never got a call. The other was of no help and no idea where to send me or what to use in it's place.

I will take a pic of it as soon as my dad brings it back.

I tried googling for wood stove insualtion, but that got me nowhere.

actually, my dad has contacted another place and they told him no good, to go to tractor supply company and get a wool heat resistant blanket and cut a piece of that.

Thanks,
Nick

It is most like ceramic fiber blanket. Find a place that sells supplies for kilns like those used for pottery and they will know what it is and probably have some.

DO NOT USE WOOL!

If you can't find a kiln supply source let us know and we will see what we can find online. It is listed on eBay a lot.

Thanks for the reply. After calling around and figuring how this insert removes. I've been debating just buying a new stove all together. I'd like one that puts out some more heat than this one and I'm thinking in 22 years since this was built. The new stoves may be mor eefficient with a longer burn time...

NIck

njdrt-rdr said:
Thanks for the reply. After calling around and figuring how this insert removes. I've been debating just buying a new stove all together. I'd like one that puts out some more heat than this one and I'm thinking in 22 years since this was built. The new stoves may be mor eefficient with a longer burn time...

NIck

Likely the case, if you say its a ~1986 model, it is probably what we call a smoke dragon, although some more efficient and cleaner stoves were starting to be made. The really stiff EPA rules really didn't start to kick in until around 1988, and stoves have gotten even better since.

A newer stove will likely give you more heat, while burning less wood. They also have better "airwash" systems for the glass that help keep the glass clean enough that you can really enjoy the fire.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here that can give plenty of advice on what newer models might be good replacements for what you have.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.