Wood stove inserts - Tile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLK0217

Oct 13, 2007
South Central Nebraska
We are going to install an insert into our old fireplace, and want to incorporate some color. Can we use most any hard tile (Stone, ceramic, porcelain, etc), or is there specific tile designed for use in/around fireplaces? I think I can use cement board and fill around the insert rather than the metal filler.
Thanks!
SLK

You can use anything that is a listed non-combustible. Some things like cultured stone can discolor from extreme heat,

Agreed, any non-combustible tile / stone / etc. will work, which includes most of the products out there. If in doubt, check out the appropriate product website and/or call the manufacturer's tech support line and ask, don't be surprised if you have trouble getting a clear answer.

I did discover while researching stuff for my own hearth extension that not all CBU (Cement Board Underlayment) is the same! At this point, I ONLY feel comfortable with reccomending Durock, as it is the ONLY product that I found with specific reccomendations for use as a part of hearth protective FLOOR assemblies.

Hardibacker tech support said that they did NOT reccomend their product for use in floor protectors, as it "was a heat conductor". Their 1/2" sheet is only R-0.19, while 1/2" Durock is R-0.26. They did say they reccomended the product for NFPA clearance reduction wall and ceiling protection.

Wonderboard seemed unclear on the concept, but said they should not be exposed to temps over 300* (granted if something in the hearth area is seeing that kind of temps you should be calling for the trucks w/ red lights, but...

Permabase uses styrofoam beads in it's construction, and their tech support line said they are "Not non-combustible" whatever that means...

Durock has a "submittal sheet" on their website where they flat say "non-combustible - WILL NOT BURN" and reccomend it for use in floor protection assemblies, as well as NFPA wall construction, etc... They even go into the standards for the thinset they reccomend for use in the application - it boils down to a 'latex fortified" mix that meets a couple of ANSI specs, I used "Flexbond".

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.