Wood Stove opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BX2200

Apr 13, 2007
Hi All -

I've been lurking on this site for awhile gathering helpful info on an upcoming wood stove purchase. I would like some opinions on the models I've narrowed it down to and some expert advice on my chimney situation.

I have done my homework on the different brands and the models that fit my needs but I am having trouble making the final decision given that these stoves are pretty much equal to me.

Stoves:

Osburn 2300 - comes with blower standard which is a plus and seems to be well made. Main concern is the baffle for the secondary burn seems to be welded in permanently and not replaceable like tubes in most other brands/ models. Price $1299+tax.

* I have looked at the Osburn 2400 also but it is a bit too wide for the space provided to me.

Napoleon 1900 - Seems to be put together well. Concerns are the thin plating on stove and the fire brick being a maintence issue if they crack and come apart. Price $1342+tax.

Quadrafire 4300 millenium - Looks like a great stove, well constructed and efficiencies that can't be matched. Main concern is dealertelling me of issues with the rear baffle cracking in them. He had 2 on pallets with this condition being shipped back.
Price $1360 +tax

Prices are not dead set, this is just what I got them down to with very little debate.

I also have looked at Regency and Avalon. Would like to look at the Lopi but the only dealer near by is very small and does'nt have any in stock and will only order if purchasing. Also price on Lopi is a bit out of my range.

Currently I am using a Garrison stove I bought from my neighbor 6 yrs ago for $100. I'm unsure of the model but it has 2 cast doors and uses a key to lock the door closed and to open. The air adjustment comes from 2 cast discs on the rear of the stove that are on threaded rod to increase or decrease air flow. It also has the original soap stone top. The stove is in my finshed basement and has no trouble heating that area plus most of my upstairs (approx 1800 sf total). We have an open stairway from the basement to the upstairs so there is good draft of heat supplied to the main level. I'm in WI so our winters can be pretty harsh, but seldom does our gas furnace kick in unless temps drop below zero. I really like this stove but I'm sure its efficiency is not what the new stoves are and I would really like a stove that can hold a decent fire overnite, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Now to the chimney. It is 10" insulated dual-wall pipe that is original to our house which was built in 1977 and it runs approx 16'. I clean the chimney myself in fall and then again in winter about midway thru the burning season from the top and bottom. I have never had a problem with drafting with the current stove which has 8" pipe but I'm concerned that there might be a problem going to the 6" pipe on the new stove. The distance of run for 6" pipe from the stove to ceiling where it would meet the 10" pipe is approx 3' if that means anything.

Thank you in advance for any info provided.

Your Garrison is either a regular one (1) or a 2. The difference would be the log length. If it takes a 24", it is the 1, if an 18", it is a 2.

That is a mid-size stove (the 2)- certainly not a big one. I would suggest the following basic guidelines - although I am not familiar with the exact models you are looking at.

I can say that that Quad dealer returning two units looks bad! I sold Avalon for 10 years plus, and never had to return a single unit, so 2 units at one time looks bad......maybe a Quad dealer here can say more.

So:
If your stove is a 1 - then look for something with 2.6 cubic foot or larger firebox
If your stove is a 2 - then look for something with about 2.0 cubic feet

The chimney is at the end of it's design life. Personally, I would replace the chimney system with 6" class A. However, it may be possible to safely line it with a 6" stainless pipe....the thing here is that your chimney may be in great shape and may work almost perfectly, but I am speaking in general terms. A chimney of that age is likely to have metal deterioration - if not now, soon.

I do remember a post or two here about the Osburn having a premature deterioration issue. The welded in situation does not seem smart for a long term situation.....

Addressing QUAD concerns:

There were some issues with read manifold area cracking on the ACT stoves. I think I removed 3 of them this season (different models). Those stoves are discontinued now, the new ACC stoves have a different design and I don't see any potential for the same problem.

You should be able to reline the existing chimney with a 6" SS liner kit.

Webmaster -

Thanks for the info on the chimney. I'm planning on replacing it in the next 3 years. I had it to have it inspected by insuranc co a couple years ago and they gave it a clean bill. I'm more concerned because I'm not sure how well the high effiecieny stoves will draft into such a large pipe.

jtp10181 - What is the difference between the act and acc stoves?

Thanks again.

BX2200,
I see from the post that the webmaster here dealt Avalon for 10 years - his observations match my experience - I've had a Rainier model (their mid-size) since 2000 and have had zero problems. I changed out the gaskets to the door and glass last year, but have never had to mess with the firebrick or secondary burners. This gets used daily between Nov and April more or less.
They do make a larger version (Olympia, I believe) that heats up to 2400SF.

ACT = Advanced Combustion Technology
ACC = Automatic Combustion Control

The ACC is the next generation in quad stoves. Their slogan for this line is "Load, Light, Live". Basically you load up the stove, set your air controls, light the fire, and get on with life. The startup automatically closes down after a certain amount of time and you don't have to worry about adjusting the air settings except to change the size of the fire (amount of heat outputted). I just looked at our showroom model and the ACC does not have the bar across the back, in the new design they took that out.

BX2200-if you're thinking about steel stoves, Napoleon,Regency,or P.E. would suit you fine.All three offer sm.med.lrg. units that are low maintenance,easy to operate, and efficient. A northsouth loading stove is convenient for me and a unit with only one loading door=one gasket=FEWER NUISANCE PROBLEMS Imo.

I had the Rainier installed last summer and burned it for a month. Wasent satisfied with the heat output for my old house and wasent satisfied with the burn time really more than anything. I had the dealertake out the rainier and replace it with the Olympic and I am really glad I did. The olympic has close to 2x the fuel capacity and puts out more heat but the longer burn time is the best thing about it. I can load it at 8am and when I return at 6pm on a day in the teens it will still have really good coals going and putting off heat. Throw a couple of more sticks on and it will take right off. The bypass lever is a ncie feature too. IT eally helps with the draft and getting a fire hot faster..basically no puff-backs whatsoever. I beleive its another $400

Status
Not open for further replies.