Wood stove or gas fireplace (help needed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still have an old hot water gas furnace on cast iron radiators (gravity fed) in a property no power required for any of it,i keep telling the tenant when the power goes out in winter ,he will be the only one with heat

The ones i grew up with did not either. One was in-set into the wall the other was a free stander about 2feet high. They both heated through convection.

Gas as a primary heat source usually needs power,for a fan or a water pump as well as an ignition source since they dont use pilot lights anymore. Of course single zone heaters may not need power. I had a vent free(other name for toxic room heater) gas wall heater.It kept shutting off due to low oxygen,scary,instructions said use it with a window open,?huh. Got rid of that in a hurry.

We heated the Old House exclusively with the two (NG) Lopi stoves in my signature. DV stoves don't need power as far as I know. The thermostat runs off millivolts the pilot produces, so even that doesn't need anything to power it. One stove (Heritage Bay) has a blower, the other doesn't. Power or not, it's not cold in there.

We heated for two years prior to getting the Heritage Bay with a vent free and never had a problem. No moisture build up, no low O2 shut offs, no "soot" on walls. We use the Cedar Ridge one in my sig as well as a second blue flame in the utility area as back ups in case something happens and we can't get home to load the stove-pipes won't freeze at least. Of course, the Old House and the Cottage aren't exactly "tight" so that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.