Wood stove outside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
Okay, I'm planning my outside "fire pit" area. I'm wondering, any issues with getting a few old smoke dragons inserts and putting them on a concrete hearth and finishing around them so all you see is the inside with no door.

I am close to electric, so I can run electricity for the fans.

Here is a rough layout.

de4294741e09dea6b5fc22b0f53e37cf.jpg

How about this, using woodstove to burn down to hot coals, then shoveling onto firebox floor. LThe stove and firebox all on the same surface, so there's no spilling coals.

Why would you run fans outside? and why would you use several stoves? Other wise the only problem i see is that stoves dont last all that long outside so completly building them in might not be the best idea because changing it out will be a big deal when it rusts out.

Reactions: quotejso
My old Sierra insert has been in the back corner of the yard ever since I replaced it with the 30-NC in 2006. Many a nice Fall and Spring night in the lawn chair with it cranking.

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsam
I don't wish to brag about my fancy setup, but I dragged some rocks into a ring, and I make fires inside the ring.
What is this fancy ring you speak of made of stone? You sir are a verly wise man LOL.

I don't wish to brag about my fancy setup, but I dragged some rocks into a ring, and I make fires inside the ring.
So did the cavemen.

Reactions: jetsam
Would it be possible to construct an outdoor masonry fireplace that has some of the advantages of a re-burn tube stove? I'm not looking for 80+% efficiency like an indoor stove, but looking to capture some of the heat that is going up the chimney in the form of smoke, instead of towards the cold viewers surrounding the fire.

Could I scavenge the guts of an old tube stove and put them in the ceiling of a masonry fireplace? Does reburn technology work without a glass door?

Would it be possible to construct an outdoor masonry fireplace that has some of the advantages of a re-burn tube stove? I'm not looking for 80+% efficiency like an indoor stove, but looking to capture some of the heat that is going up the chimney in the form of smoke, instead of towards the cold viewers surrounding the fire.

Could I scavenge the guts of an old tube stove and put them in the ceiling of a masonry fireplace? Does reburn technology work without a glass door?

One cool (and cheap) technology is a mass heater rocket stove. You basically build a concrete bench with a fire chamber and flue in it, and the small fire keeps the thermal mass nice and warm. Won't heat up the outdoors, but it will heat up whoever sits on the bench. (I've never heard of one being built outdoors before, but I don't see why not.)

You could also use hydronic heating- the fire heats a water tank, and the hot water gets pumped through pipes. You can run pex inside your concrete and have a toasty warm patio, and/or have fan-forced hydronic radiators to blow warm air. Do be careful when planning a DIY closed loop hydronic system- there's lots of good info out there, but it is potentially dangerous.

Mine as well. Seems to allow me to drink whiskey at an alarming rate and attract males and other rif-raf. After a few long pulls of Buffalo Trace, it doesn't matter what the masonry looks like. :)

Reactions: drz1050
So I enjoy a diversion as much as the next guy. But my OP is really about getting a long coal bed in a horizontal, "pizza oven" type burn area. My sitting bench would be right across from it. See my original drawing.

So I enjoy a diversion as much as the next guy. But my OP is really about getting a long coal bed in a horizontal, "pizza oven" type burn area. My sitting bench would be right across from it. See my original drawing.

I actually did not take that idea from the drawing.

A firepit with a cast iron railing set around it and a gate for loading might be neat if you have a welder. (Maybe also some perforated aluminum sheet metal to catch sparks.) The railing could double as a retaining wall for a couple feet of firebrick around the bottom. You could build that for not too much out of parts from Home Depot.

Wouldn't be hard to build an actual pizza oven into one corner of that setup, either.

I like this idea. I have on old Drolet that would probably work well outside. It is sitting the corner of the garage so it might as well get used. Some interesting ideas. Thanks.

seems to me they would rust out pretty quick

why not just an old fashioned fireplace to burn pine in

wondering if you are going to the trouble of pouring a concrete hearth why you wouldn't frame up with brick and/or concrete cinder block.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5b/82/33/5b82338caac78f4bf0ef88ee3636a62d.jpg
http://33.media.tumblr.com/6a44f633224d89aca307982c9cc34d91/tumblr_inline_mis50u4VzS1qz4rgp.jpg
I was thinking more of a bluestone slab, 2x4 each, structure, low and long, so the warmth flows out at those sitting. Chimney in the back and maybe another at the end for a pizza oven.

e38144187b4203b175489df82f2b411b.jpg

A quick drawing. I'm not quite sure the smoke escape gap at the rear will make an effective draw, but it sure will make a clean sleek look I'm after.

Flipped the picture.
uploadfromtaptalk1461506207747.jpg

The Forno Bravo website is the goto resource for building a proper wood-fired masonry pizza oven

I was thinking the same thing...when we move it's unlikely our Kodiak Enviro insert will find a home in the new house. Probably better to sell it and use the money to build one of those fancy ring things that jetsam mentioned.

I thought about building a rock/masonry enclosure around it. I had two concerns -- how to provide a chimney for the stove (and necessary height for both safety and draft) and how the stove would deal with the weather...

OK, this project is up next. Just reread the thread.

Ultimately, the driving idea is that red hot coals provide heat, not flames. I want a long, low bed hot coals at sitting level, ideally, with a fan blowing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.