Wood stove piping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cric8192

Sep 19, 2023
Ontario
Hi,

I am trying to install a wood stove in an old post and beam barn with metal roof.

The location I’ve chosen will provide more than 18” of clearance for the piping inside the building so I would like to use single wall pipe for cost reasons.

My understanding is where it penetrates the roof, which is constructed of 1x12 with steel roofing on top, that I need double wall pipe. Once I’m outside and extending to the required height do I continue with double wall or can I switch back to single?

This is just a small workshop so I’d like to keep the cost down.

Thank you

you're going to need to use a ceiling support box to go through the roof and then above that you will need to use Class A chimney pipe

How long from stove top to ceiling? Double wall stove pipe does more than just reduce clearances, it keeps the flue temps warmer which gives you better draft and less creosote. If the run is longer than a few feet you should use double wall stove pipe.

How long from stove top to ceiling? Double wall stove pipe does more than just reduce clearances, it keeps the flue temps warmer which gives you better draft and less creosote. If the run is longer than a few feet you should use double wall stove pipe.
Exactly right. Many stove mfgs. recommend double-wall stove pipe to be used for runs over 8 ft. That said, single-wall will work but be sure to only burn dry wood and keep the flue temps high enough so that they exit the chimney cap at above 250ºF.

PS: Double-wall stove pipe is not the same as double-wall chimney pipe. Stove pipe can not be used outside of the room envelope. It is not designed or tested for outdoor usage.

Thank you for that information. The stove has a rear flue however as described I want to exit straight through the roof.

This is an older stove I can’t identify make or model but generally is it ok to have a 90 right off the back of the stove to go up? Or would you put a T so you have an easy clean out?

This is an older stove I can’t identify make or model but generally is it ok to have a 90 right off the back of the stove to go up?
Can you post a picture of the stove so that we can identify it? Some are easy to clean from the inside of the stove, some are not.

3EA65D58-8311-4E19-9AB5-7B6935F83A28.png

It says crafted made in Barrie Ontario but I couldn’t get anything to come up online. There is a baffle plate of some sort that runs on an angle blocking access to the outlet from inside the stove.

I'm not sure but that looks like an old insert that someone put legs on. Has this been approved by the local inspecting authority and insurance company?
My guess is that it has just a simple baffle if any. If so, no need for a tee on the flue.

I dont think it'll matter whether you use an elbow or a T, although the T will allow easier cleanings of the flue.

I dont think it'll matter whether you use an elbow or a T, although the T will allow easier cleanings of the flue.
If there is a baffle and it's not welded in, then no need. Just drop the baffle and clean.