Wood stove placement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilroy

Dec 24, 2009
Wisconsin
I have just installed a new high efficiency boiler in my victorian home. I now have a masonry chimney flu that is freed up. I don't know yet if the flu is lined with a stainless liner or is clay but will find out. I have a few questions:

If I install a wood stove in my basement the chimney length will be approximately 40 feet. (9' basement; 9' ceilings in first and second floor; walk up attic plus several feet of chimney above roof line.) Will a wood stove draft with that long of a chimney? (BTW, it's and interior chimney.)

There are no grates between the basement and the first floor. There is a lot of light that shines through the floor of the first floor from the basement if the basement lights are on at night. (House was built in 1893 and things aren't perfect:) Would a wood stove installed in the basement provide a substantial amount of heat to the first floor? (I don't have any duct work in the house due to water heat.)

If the chimney is still the clay lined kind, should I have a stainless flu installed? If so, should it be lined? Remember, the chimney is internal.

Thanks for the advice. I realize that I need a professional to come out and look at everything, but thought there might be someone here that has been through something like this already and would like to here ideas before getting someone out here.

This doesn't sound like a great heating situation for a basement stove as compared to placing it on the first floor, especially if the basement is uninsulated.

If a stove is put in the basement, the lined chimney may actually have too much draft. But that can be dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.