Wood stove plastic smell and glowing chimney cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainerBrit

Dec 17, 2016
Maine
Hi, I run a wood stove, burning clean logs as far as I know, and this year the stove has started to give off a plastic-type smell when it runs super hot. I was a bit concerned about this but thought maybe it was just paint overheating.

Then tonight, after running the stove hot for a few minutes to set it up for its overnight burn, i noticed the chimney cap was glowing red and small sparks were coming from it. Cooled down rapidly after I closed down the vent on the stove. The fire had gotten very fierce before I closed the vent.

Did I have a chimney fire? I cleaned the chimney myself in November. First time I've done it but it seemed good and clean after. I've never seen the cap do that before.

Any advice? Many thanks for your help! This is only my third winter with a wood stove so I am pretty new to it.

sounds like a fire is definitely possible. check the flue - if you did have a fire the creosote will either be expanded blown up looking or it will be all gone and flue with be sparkling clean. check for damage/cracks too!

Sounds like a chimney fire. At minimum I believe you need to have the chimney inspected before operating the stove again.

Reactions: 2fireplacesinSC
Glowing red cap and sparks coming out of the chimney . . . while there is a possibility that some errant sparks may make their way up the chimney (a relative slim possibility) combine the sparks with the glowing red cap and I would say there is a very strong possibility that you had a chimney fire.

What's you setup as far as stove, chimney and wood? New to you?

I assume your stove has a bypass damper? Stoves of this design are more likely to have small flue fires, since flames have a direct path to the flue outlet. Definitely not a must to spark a fire, but more common to see these little short lived flue fires.

I've had my cap do this before, it barely had a film of build up, but was able to ignite and then burn out as quick as it caught.

Did I have a chimney fire? I cleaned the chimney myself in November. First time I've done it but it seemed good and clean after. I've never seen the cap do that before.
Yes absolutely a chimney fire. Inspect everything well before burning again.

Status
Not open for further replies.