Wood Stove Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildfire

Jan 5, 2010
Western PA
I bought a house with a Temco pre-fab fireplace last summer. I’ve been using the fireplace for most of the winter so far but I have tons of issues with it! I grew up using wood stoves as a main heat source and I’d like to replace the Temco with a wood stove to get more heat output and less issues. So, I’m looking for any suggestions on a good quality wood stove – I’ve been looking at Harmon and Quadrafire brands specifically but I’m open to any suggestions.

My home is about 3000 square feet; the wood stove will be in my finished basement near an a wall with the chimney going up through a chase on the outside of the house – (typical colonial style w/ vinyl siding). I want to be able to heat my basement and main floor at a minimum; I don’t know how well I’d be able to get heat up to the top floor (bedrooms).

The Temco is just a huge firewood hog and it has some serious negative pressure issues – I can’t even light a fire until I get the flue heated up using newspaper and whatnot and it fills my game room w/ smoke. I attached a pic of the Temco for reference. I know I’m going to have to replace the chimney which will be added cost but I really want to get rid of this fireplace!

Some of my requirements from the stove I want are high heat output, high efficiency, long burn times, easy ash removal, and I’d really like a top loading feature.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• temco fireplace.jpg
    temco fireplace.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 177
What we need is a forum with a search box where we could type in the models of stoves we're looking at and get reviews! Wait, we're here already. My first suggestion based on your picture and requirements would be to tear that sucker out and see what kind of large epa certified wood fireplace you can cram in there. Have you looked into that option yet?

I had discussed something similar in an earlier post that you replied to…here’s a link to the posts: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49793/

Another poster recommended something similar to what you just suggested. What are the benefits / drawback of going with an enclosed fireplace like a HeatnGlo North Star over a wood stove? Wouldn’t a wood stove be a cheaper option and be just as efficient? I suppose I wouldn't have to do a ton of work on the hearth area if the fireplace would fit in there.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.