Wood Stove Store Burns Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
This is/was a pretty nice wood stove store just east of Asheville, NC, in Black Mountain. I went there several times, it was a real nice store, sold Jotul and had lots of stoves on display on the floor.
When I bought my Jotul 2 years ago I nearly bought from these guys, but bought from a store in Asheville instead.
It is interesting that it would burn down here in what is probably the busiest month of the year for a wood stove store.

Authorities search for cause of fire at Black Mountain Stove & Chimney
by Kristy Steward & Liz Burch

Wednesday, October 25th 2017

Crews responded to the scene of a structure fire at Black Mountain Stove & Chimney fireplace store on Wednesday afternoon. (Photo credit: WLOS Staff)

b7da25a8-6dc0-46d9-881e-72686e8c2d3d-medium36x25_fire1.PNGc77258c3-b4a4-4e71-97c7-39416c392369-medium36x25_22809669_2093716327581635_100174502_n.jpg99bbb928-a734-4bd3-a1ec-243453537408-medium36x25_22809761_2093716350914966_1727033480_n.jpg
VIEW PHOTO GALLERY
6 photos

Black Mountain, N.C. (WLOS) — Crews responded to the scene of a structure fire at Black Mountain Stove & Chimney fireplace store on Wednesday afternoon.

Line crews from six agencies worked to suppress the fire. A seventh agency was called in through their mutual aid agreement to help handle any other calls they may have.

View image on Twitte
DNAnHzoVQAAsT_7.jpg

Follow
UjT5khyn_normal.jpgLiz Burch @LizBurchTV
Fire dept says 6 agencies responded to fire & 7th came in to cover other calls. No injuries. Impacted 2 businesses @WLOS_13

The Asheville Fire Department posted on social media that they are sending mutual aid to assist the Black Mountain Fire Department with the fire.

DNAOaY3X0AARosu.jpg
Fire officials said the fire is now out, but crews remain on scene investigating the cause of the fire and checking for hot spots.

There was extensive damage to the building, but no injuries were reported. The cause of the fire is still under investigation. The Buncombe County Fire Marshall's Office is assisting with that investigation.
WLOS

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what a shame for the owner. Sounds like he's been putting allot into the building over the past few years. Hope insurance steps up to the plate. Couldn't come at a worst time with the cold temps almost upon us.

That's the store I bought my Jotul F 600 stove a few years ago! Very nice shop and great guys to work with. I did my own installation and they helped out by answering all my questions and giving me advice on a few things I hadn't thought about. Really sorry to hear about their fire. I missed the story on the local TV news because we recently dropped our satellite TV service and can no longer get the Asheville TV station.

Hope it wasn't a chimney fire! !!! some bad advertising there...

No it wasn't . In the video I think the owner states that it wasn't chimney or electrical and that it may have started on the front porch.
Hope someone didn't put an ashcan on the deck.

That is a good guess, someone put a can of ashes on the deck. It has just gotten cool enough in the last week to run a wood stove here in the Asheville area.

If that caused the fire the store owner will not want to admit to it.