wood stove suggestion for newbie wood burner in new construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WBowling

Oct 24, 2017
KY mountains
First of all, let me say thank you for all of the great information on this site. I've learned a ton from lurking on the forums, and reading the posted articles. Any suggestions that you all could provide with my specific issue would be greatly appreciated!

I'm in the market for my first wood stove. It'll be going into new construction (actually, I'm still working on construction...). The house has 2x6 framing with dense pack fiberglass insulation (~R20), and construction is tight. I really took my time air sealing everything well. The attic is insulated to R45 with cellulose, and we used energy heel trusses to make sure we got full insulation value over the entire ceiling. The house is right at 1,700 sf (850 sf each for top and bottom floors), with 8' ceilings on both levels. The downstairs is a fairly open floor plan, but the upstairs is a bit more cut up with rooms. I'd say we've got a typical number of windows, but we spent a bit extra for the fancy coating upgrade, so they should perform pretty good.

In terms of weather, we usually get quite a few nights into the winter in the upper teens, but wintertime daytime temps usually get a bit above freezing. We'll typically have a few nights get into the single digits, but that's usually only a few days/winter.

I'm planning to use the wood stove as my primary source of heat, but I'm also going to instal a few minisplit units that I'm hoping will only be used when my wife and I are away from the farm for a few days. The woodstove will be sitting pretty close to the middle of the house, and all of our main living space is on the ground level.

My wife and I are both home quite a bit during the winter (not much going on in the vegetable farming department during that time of the year), so someone will be there to occasionally tend a stove most days.

What recommendations would you all have for a good, simple stove that won't break my budget? I'm leaning toward a Englander NC-30, but I'm afraid that will be too much stove, given the insulating and air sealing that I've done. The last thing that I want is to buy a unit that we won't be able to efficiently use without running ourselves onto the porch!

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

What's your chimney situation (location, bends, height)? Check out Drolet stoves, they are well liked here

What's your chimney situation (location, bends, height)? Check out Drolet stoves, they are well liked here

Thanks, I'll check the Drolet's out.

The chimney will exit just shy of the ridgeline of the house, with no bends. It'll be inside the structure until it breaks the roofline. Total chimney length should be around 25 feet, with around 4 feet of that being above the peak of the roof.

Thanks again!

Sounds like a good setup for a small cat stove like the Woodstock Keystone. If you get a Drolet stick to the ~2 cu ft range. Your house is well constructed and insulated. It's not going to take a lot of stove to keep it warm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sailrmike
I'm not going to make any recommendations as to which stove to buy, but I can give you a little feedback on the 30NC. I'm not quite in the same situation as you but there are similarities. My house has about 1100 sq ft in the basement, 1100sq ft on the main floor, and 600 sq on the second floor. The house is 2x6 construction, and it's well insulated with new triple pain windows. The 30NC is in the corner of an L shaped room that takes up 3/4 of the basement.

My main concern was smoke...or rather, putting out as little as possible so I'm not killing my neighbors with it. I live in the middle of a subdivision in a fairly large city. This has been an issue for the past 8 years with another stove that I had. The 30NC is a very clean burning stove, it's inexpensive as larger wood stoves go, and they're a LOT of stove, meaning that they're fairly large, and throw a lot of heat.

My experience so far is that it doesn't do small fires well. It likes to be run hot and hard in order to get good secondary combustion going. You can throttle it back to about half after 10 minutes or so, and after your load of wood has had a chance to heat up and burn it's outer surface off. Once there's a good bed of coals in there, when reloading, I only need to keep the door cracked for about 5 minutes in order to get things rolling again, and minimize my smoke output. By that time, my 1100 sq ft basement is quite toasty. Even at 1/4 throttle from that point on, it's throwing a LOT of heat, and things get too hot for comfort anywhere near the stove. The remainder of the basement stays bearable, but not what I call comfortable.

After a couple of hours of running, my main floor is up to 23 degrees Celsius. That's 73.4F. The basement is a sauna at 90 to 95F. The top floor where the bedrooms are remains at a comfortable 68-70F I should also mention that I run my furnace fan 24/7 and there's a 7" cold air return duct right above the stove. I'm burning very dry lodge pole pine, with a bit of spruce mixed in. My splits are mostly 12", but go as big as 14" long. I cut everything to fit the fireplace upstairs, which is tiny, so I'm not really loading the stove up anywhere near it's full potential with 20" long pieces. I pile them north south, and find that it works best if I push everything to the back of the stove.

Now...all that being said....I don't know if I'd want this thing on my main floor, cranking out the heat that it does. At least I can come upstairs when the basement gets too hot. So far, my local temperatures haven't been that cold. 5 below freezing at night and 5 above during the day. Today, it got up to 16 degrees C...thats about 60 on the F scale. There's no way in heck I would even consider lighting it tonight. It does get a lot colder here in Edmonton Alberta Canada in the dead of winter, so I'm hoping that will allow me to use the stove more regularly. The stove itself is very well built, and fairly simple in construction. So far, I've probably run it 10 nights, and 2 weekends. Other than the fact that it's too much stove for my basement at this time of year, I have nothing bad to say about it. It's not the most decorative stove on the market, and it wasn't intended to be. It's a very reasonably priced work horse, non cat stove, with very low emissions, and it does what it claims to do very well.

Hopefully that helps you a bit with your decision.
Cheers !

i got the summers heat version from lowes, same price but a few more features i liked and no depot's around with one they had it in stock. they have tighter clearance, taller, so you dont have to bend, auto set back, bigger ash bucket. just dont forget about you pipes, if i was building a new house it would be in the middle of the basement with single up so the heat enters the house, in the middle the chimney is easy to reach if you plan right you can clean it yourself easy

you can always build a smaller fire or use different woods to cut the heat down, you cant build a bigger box in a smaller stove though

Thanks for all the help!

Sounds like a smaller cat stove will probably be a better fit for our situation. I really like the looks of the Keystone. It's priced a bit higher than I was hoping to pay, but I am a pretty solid believer in "buy once, cry once." Especially for something that I hope lasts for a good long while.

Is that price point (currently a bit south of $3,000) about what I can expect to see in similar cat stoves of this size? I realize the soapstone is probably adding a bit of a premium to it as well...

Their Absolute Steel Great Plain would also work. It's also be worth checking the price on a Blaze King Sirocco 20 or 30 if there are dealers in your areas. Call around.

Last edited:
Thanks again for everyone's input. After weighing a lot of options, I've got a Woodstock Absolute Steel in my future. You all are great, thanks!
Very nice choice! Which style did you go for? Keep us posted and please post pics!