Wood stove Thermometers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2014
Eden, NY
Any suggestions on thermometers? Which are more useful - ones for stove top or pipe? Any brand or model suggestions? If you have a stainless steel liner, will a pipe thermometer work properly? thanks!

Last edited:
Any suggestions on thermometers? Which are more useful - ones for stove top or pipe? Any brand or model suggestions? If you have a stainless steel liner, will a pipe thermometer work properly? thanks!

I've got the same question. Uh.... what kind of pipe do you have with a stainless steel liner? What is it you trying to find out?

On our stove, what I'd really like to do is compare the inside to the outside temp of my stove and do the same with the double wall insulated pipe in a few different places. Maybe get a better picture of what is really happening in there......

It ought to be possible to measure these temperatures. And if we really go nuts maybe we can even display or record the info.
good luck to us,
rScotty

IMO an infrared is rather inexpensive and works great. I didn't find the magnetic ones that impressive.

I run a magnetic stovepipe on single wall and a magnetic stove top as well. I also have a auberins remote display unit with a ring thermocouple on the single pipe so I can monitor pipe temps from upstairs. I will say the magnetic thermometers are handy imo. I'm a lifelong wood burner and can burn quite well without thermometers, but there's no arguing with science, a thermometer or three will really help you dial in your stove to burn as efficiently as possible.

I like the cheap magnetic thermometers, they have so far been accurate(I can confirm with auberins unit for the stovepipe and a IR for the stovetop) and relatively fast acting. The auberins unit with the ring thermocouple is incredibly accurate and fast acting. Air adjustments are reflected in temperature change almost immediately.

I have a condor magnet on the stovepipe and a meecos red devil magnetic on the stovetop.

Last edited:
IR guns are great and fun to play with. But imo they will go walking or batteries will get zapped. If you're trying to dial in your burning a magnetic or probe thermometer on double wall that is always in place so you use have to glance at it is the way to go imo. Sure get a IR gun too and use it to check things out and verify the magnet/probe readings. But again it's been my experience that sooner then later the novelty of grabbing the IR and pointing and shooting wears off.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Condar stove top . . . Condar probe-style for my flue pipe . . . and a cheap Harbor Freight infra-red.

Honestly, in my case I mostly rely on the probe-style thermometer to run the stove, but use the other two thermometers when I want to see if things are getting a little too hot or not.

I have a stainless tee coming off the flue collar, and I just lay a surface meter on the tee snout, as far back as I can get it. It is pretty hot there, on top of the snout, so I think the readings I get there are probably about half way between what I would get from a surface meter the recommended 18" up on a vertical connector pipe, and the reading I would get from a probe. My cat probe doesn't actually get all the way back to the surface of the cat so it gives me a reading of conditions around the flue exit. I have a longer probe that should reach over the cat, but haven't installed it yet. You can see both meters in this pic. Then I also have a stove-top meter over the cat.
tee.JPG

Just get a magnetic stove top and place it as close as possible in the back.

It is really just to help you learn how to use your stove correctly. After a year, you won't even need it.

IR guns do work on shiny materials. You just have to move them around a bit.

I use a thermometer probe which goes into the stove next to the cat. Made a huge difference to my burning operation.

bob

The flue pipe thermometer monitors your exhaust. The stovetop monitors your appliance. They vary from each other, sometimes greatly but imo there's certainly a correlation between the two. No I wouldn't trust a stovetop thermometer to monitor flue gas temps, but conversely I wouldn't trust a flue pipe thermometer to monitor my stovetop temps.

If you have a stove, there is no reason not to have both. This is fire in your home, I monitor it every which way I can. I use my two flue temp thermometers, my stovetop thermometer and my IR gun. Do I need to? Certainly not, but if you're really interested in burning as efficiently and safely as possible, thermometers are where it's at. Imo.

Reactions: davidmsem and rijim
The flue pipe thermometer monitors your exhaust. The stovetop monitors your appliance. They vary from each other, sometimes greatly but imo there's certainly a correlation between the two. No I wouldn't trust a stovetop thermometer to monitor flue gas temps, but conversely I wouldn't trust a flue pipe thermometer to monitor my stovetop temps.

If you have a stove, there is no reason not to have both. This is fire in your home, I monitor it every which way I can. I use my two flue temp thermometers, my stovetop thermometer and my IR gun. Do I need to? Certainly not, but if you're really interested in burning as efficiently and safely as possible, thermometers are where it's at. Imo.

Can I get an Amen for Brother Squisher? ;)

I figure having a flue and stove thermo is a lot like having an oil pressure gauge AND an engine temp gauge on a car -- they're measuring two different things, but give you some very good info on what is happening with your engine so you can keep it running safely and efficiently. Do you technically need either one to run a car . . . not really . . . but they sure are nice to have so you know if there is a problem.

Reactions: davidmsem
I just had my stove installed. I have not had a fire in it yet until I get a thermometer. All I can find at my local hardware stoves are magnetic units for signal wall pipe. I have doublewall. I do have a infrared therometer. I did see a probe type but was worried about drilling a hole in the pipe. How does it seal up when smoke is rising up the chimney and from poisonous gases. I may have to buy a stove top unit on line but it will take a while to get it.

You can use the magnetic stovepipe on the stovetop as long as it has temperature markings on it. It's 'zones' might just be a bit off. You will definetly want a probe thermometer to monitor your flue gases.

Now that i have a through wall probe monitoring actual flue gas temps - it doesnt leak into the house at all that i can smell-

I think running a magnetic mount surface thermometer on double wall pipe is about useless.

Starting from a cold stove and running up to active combustor i can nail the flue gas temp but see +/- 100 degrees F on the magnetic mount.

Magnetic mount on double wall pipe, having run the MM side by side with a flue gas probe for a solid month now, is useless.

@Sailorman3 , my flue gas probe is one of the common well known brands. Followed the drillibg directions on the package.

Sleeve over probe wouldnt quite slide in. Took off a whisker with a tapered reamer, its a beauty. I dunno the production tolerance on the probe diameters.

I don't believe anyone was suggesting to use a magnetic thermometer on double wall. I agree that would be pointless.

I just had my stove installed. I have not had a fire in it yet until I get a thermometer. All I can find at my local hardware stoves are magnetic units for signal wall pipe. I have doublewall. I do have a infrared therometer. I did see a probe type but was worried about drilling a hole in the pipe. How does it seal up when smoke is rising up the chimney and from poisonous gases. I may have to buy a stove top unit on line but it will take a while to get it.

No worries about drilling a hole . . . you actually drill two different sized holes (same spot). The combination of the natural draft and the way the probe thermometer attaches with the magnet and different sized holes should result in no smoke coming out. When I have issues with the draft in truth I get smoke coming out of all kinds of places on my stove . . . just about everywhere, but the flue.

Amen brother

Reactions: firefighterjake
It's been a few years since I posted this, but . . .

upload_2016-10-26_5-32-11.jpeg

If you're using a condor to check your stove's temps you're probably not doing it right . . . since condors tend to get cranky when they get overheated.

upload_2016-10-26_5-33-7.jpeg

Folks may have better luck using a Condar thermometer with their woodstove.

What kind of thermometer do you guys use on a stove insert? I haven't found a magnetic small enough to fit anywhere on the front of the insert. I guess I could get and infrared gun to spot check with......

We use a Condor on our Insert, and I have an IR Gun also. The Condor seems pretty close to what the IR Gun reads....within a few degrees. I also can see where the Flue exits the Insert before it disappears beyond the Blocking Plate.....sometimes I give that a shot with the IR Gun.....not sure of it's accuracy, just like shootin' the gun.
On Edit: Do some feel that as the Magnetic Thermometers go from reading hot to cold, that the Coil wears and the Thermometer should be replaced ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.