Wood stove tool suggestion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brianramsey

Jan 29, 2020
I'm about 3-4 months into a newly installed Drolet HT3000 and while I don't think I can add more to what the existing reviews have already stated I do think there is an opportunity for new tools specific to this stove type. (with an ash drain hole at the front)

I currently use a wide putty knife and a short steel strip to scrape ashes forward into the drain hole at the front. Don't think I need a shovel for that. The strip also doubles as stick I use to lift out the iron plug.

An ideal tool would combine those into something like a restaurant crumb sweeper but without the hard edge and attendant irritating noise. Something about 16" long, about 1.5" tall and hard plastic with 1/4" of non-flammable, non-meltable bristle along edge. The handle would come up at 45 degrees to clear opening. The other end could have a have a metal 1/2 loop or hook to pick up the plug and move logs around.