Wood stove won't draw through clay chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bbqbuckeye

Nov 5, 2015
Ohio
I have a 1978 Glacier bay wood burner with an 8" pipe connected to an exterior masonry chimney (13x13). Just purchased the house and the wood stove backdrafts terribly. the height of the chimney is about 16' and it meets the 2 and 10 code. Thinking I need to line the flue. Any advise or direction would be great.

There have been a number of posts lately regarding poor draft. If the chimney is cleaned and clear, it is probably just the warm temperatures we are experiencing right now. Everyone experiences this to some degree and it will change when the temps go down.
Since this is a new house to you, you really need to have a good chimney sweep clean it and check everything out. A good, experienced sweep will go through everything and advise you.

Also be sure to seal up any air leaks such as around the thimble where the pipe connects, around the thimble where it connects to the clay, any ash clean-out doors, bottom "T" sections, etc. Ideally, the clay flue is air-tight with only one way for the air to enter (coming through the stove) and one way to exit (through the top).

I agree with what the others said but they missed the fact that your flue is drastically over sized which will make it much harder to establish a good draft and will also cause more creosote buildup.

Yes, a stainless steel liner will help reduce this problem. One thing to consider is that the 8" for the Glacier Bay will be oversized for most new stoves which are 6". How large an area is being heated with the stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.