1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood stove

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Firestone, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firestone

Firestone New Member

Loc:
    Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
    Greetings: Here is a photo of the wood stove I use to heat my workshop. It is a steel barrel with rivited seam lengthwise, and crimped ends . It is circa pre WW2 and was used to ship grease, back in the days when farm machinery used wooden bearing blocks for many applications. It had a large brass bung soldered to the end, and one of the markings says Imperial Oil. The stove was built for me by my father, many years ago. I modified it by adding a hollow tube lengthwise at the top, and installing 3 stretched springs. I hooked up a blower at the back and used the springs as a heat exchanger. It heats like crazy, but also goes through wood as well. I do keep it throttled well back and it does now have metal shielding around the walls behind it. I have a fan mounted up near the ceiling, and it runs through 6 feet of supervent insulated chimmney.
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I had the same thoughts Pookarczar. I bet that thing heats up hot in a flash and chews through wood like crazy. I like the boot drying rack on top :)
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    You've got to tell us about it. Is it a keg? Those 3 tubes look to have gotten hot.
  4. Firestone

Firestone New Member

Loc:
    Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
    Greetings: I have updated the original post, got called away from the computer.
  5. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    I think it's a pretty cool curiosity stove and perfect for the shop.
  6. ctarborist

ctarborist New Member

Loc:
    southern CT
    oh thats a boot drying rack? and I thought that was for the monthly employee appreciation bar b que, silly me!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.