Woodburner in the basement - will I keep warm?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
After 2 winters of heating my house with an epa insert on the 1st floor I have decided to finish the basement and install something along the lines of a quadra fire 7100 that is capable of heating the entire house with the use of ducting. My current insert struggles anytime it got below 15 and I was always refilling every 3 hours or so because I am heating 2600 sf combined 1st and 2nd floors. I fugure I will add another 1200 sf to that by finishing the basement.

I really like the quadra fire 7100 but the price is a bit more than I want to spend considering I will already be investing a lot in finshing the basement. Are there any comparables that have optional duct work to get the heat up the upper 2 floors. We really enjoy warm sleeping conditions and I am afraid that a stove in the basement simply wont get enough heat upstairs to make it worthwhile. My current outside chimney has 2 flues - one for the insert on the 1st floor and another that runs alongside for use in the basement.

What are some suggestions here? I tried doing a search because i know there are other fireplaces that have optional ductwork and I really like the ambience of fireplaces. Any other options here for me?

Ok first of all the 7100 can't hook into a masonry chimney, or any chimney for that matter, unless it is SL300 or DuraPlus. If you do go with the 7100FP run the heat zones as short as you can, straight up if possible. Then I would suggest running the AUX air duct into the same rooms as the heat zones go to. You can create a lower pressure zone in those rooms which will help more air flow through the heat zones.

What insert do you have now? Would give us more of an idea what your heating challenges will be.

If you have any questions about the 7100FP I can answer them.

jtp10181 said:
Ok first of all the 7100 can't hook into a masonry chimney, or any chimney for that matter, unless it is SL300 or DuraPlus.

Can't or shouldn't? Will a duraplus fit into my 10"X10" masonry? Why does it have to be a duraplus or sl300? Thanks in advance

Can't because its not tested that way so it would not be "code". Anything is possible, but will it burn your house down is the question. No you can't put DuraPlus down a masonry flue, it is not a liner system.

Well if the 7100 is out what is going to be my best option here? Which large stoves work with a lined masonry chimney with a run of about 30-35'? Ideally I would like to use a fireplace that has ductwork to get the heat upstairs but if my masonry chimney is going to limit me then I need to look at other options.

Rockey said:
Well if the 7100 is out what is going to be my best option here? Which large stoves work with a lined masonry chimney with a run of about 30-35'? Ideally I would like to use a fireplace that has ductwork to get the heat upstairs but if my masonry chimney is going to limit me then I need to look at other options.

www.overstockstoves.com

model 50-tnc-30 epa rated secondary burn almost smokeless stove,799.oo including shipping. Rated for 2,200 sq ft This is sales price. HD normal price is 1039.oo
lowes normal price 999.95

This is a model of www.englanderstoves.com which also make the summersheat name , which is the same stove, interchaingeable parts, with different trim & a lower price at lowes.
summersheat model # 50-snc-30l
englander model 50-30ncl
englanderstoves are sold at home depot,ace hardware,tru value hardware, lowes. See list of dealers on www.englanderstoves.com for more.

englander also makes 2 or 3 models of ADD ON WOOD FURNACES, that give more heat than
the 2,200 sq ft of the 50-30ncl ,BUT, THE FURNACES ARE NOT SECONDARY BURN & the consume more wood & smoke more & reg price is 1299.00 & up. but theY do come with a
8 inch or 10 inch collar & a really big kick butt blower motor designed to blow the heat thru a long run of duck work.

wOOD CAN BE FREE , if you want to be a free wood scrounger. I burn 3 yrs without paying cent 1 for wood & save 12,000.oo in fuel oil costs because I no buy any oil ,while doing it.
So the englander stove was the best 800.oo I ever spent in my entire life & I'm 60, so thats
a lot of spending experience. Was costing me 3000.oo - 4000.oo yr for fuel oil to heat 3000sq ft.

My summersheat heats the basement & first floor very nicely ,But the heat don't reach the second floor, so I have cold storage rooms on the second floor. I live & bed room on the first floor, so a 58 deg second floor is not an issue for me. First floor is 72 to 79 depending on the room, 5 rooms on first floor.

I could get heat up to second floor if I cut register holes, 1 for hot air up & 1 for cold air return to basement , with the hot air up register having a small electric fan. I would have to have a hot & cold register for every room in the second floor & another set of registers for eevery room below them. So this could be a 500.oo project, but well worth the time & money. I just don't really have the need for it, as I dont need the second floor for much.

If I had the need ,it would have been done 2 years ago.

I like the idea of the free standing stove with electric floor registers as I know your wood bill will be cheaper by at least 1/3 if not 1/2, & over a 10 year period ,that adds up to a lot of $.

ROCKY, i just reread your post, & you heat 2600sq ft & 1200 sq ft for total heat requirement of 3800 sq ft

If you run your insert & your 50-tnc-30 wood stove ,that give 1200 insert & 2200 wood stove
equal 3400 , so you most probably be fine on all but the coldest days, so that the heat register idea will work.

But if you want to look at the add on basement wood furnaces, it cost you a little more initial investment & more for wood, as it do burn more wood, but gives more btu /hr as well.

PLEASE REMEMBER,THAT DURING A POWER OUTAGE ,THE ADD ON WOOD FURNACES blower
wont work & you will have to turn down or off the fire as the wood furnace will over heat
without the blower & with the flames going full bore.

You may be able to keep a small fire going for some heat from the wood furnace , but without the blower going,it is not designed to ratiate the heat that it makes , it is an electric fan forced convection heater, never designed for no electricity radiant heat.

The 50-30ncl & all other models of that stove as well , are designed for full output without electric blower. In fact, the electric blower is a extra cost option,159.95 & ship & does not come wih any of their stoves.

available www.englanderstoves.com under your stoves model # then click on accessories.

P.S. I forget to say that I'm no expert, just a highly knowledgeable amauter, but I near an expert,he lives two doors down from me. %-P

eernest4 said:
Rockey said:

www.overstockstoves.com

model 50-tnc-30 epa rated secondary burn almost smokeless stove,799.oo including shipping. Rated for 2,200 sq ft This is sales price. HD normal price is 1039.oo

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to look into the 50-30ncl. We do average a power outage every few months here but I dont consider it too much of a problem because I can run the blower off of some spare car batteries and an inverter.

Rockey said:
eernest4 said:
Rockey said:

www.overstockstoves.com

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to look into the 50-30ncl. We do average a power outage every few months here but I dont consider it too much of a problem because I can run the blower off of some spare car batteries and an inverter.

that 50-tnc-30 is the same as 50-30ncl , no difference except cheaper price at overstockstoves with delevery included. i like the inverter idea & was thinking about buying one myself. I have a 4000wt generator but it 2 heavy 2 move without wheels & inverter a lot
lighter & no pull start. it would match up nice with my electric chain saw as I'm too lazy to keep my gas saws running. Good idea, we see what happens on this summers free wood scrounge hunt.

Big problem is I keep getting older & more & more tired ,sooner & faster. This crap keep up much longer & i might end up paying for CSD (cut split delivered) wood. 60 sucks!

jtp10181 said:
Can't because its not tested that way so it would not be "code". Anything is possible, but will it burn your house down is the question. No you can't put DuraPlus down a masonry flue, it is not a liner system.

Must make it awful tough to sell a stove.

Its not a stove... its a built into the wall ZC EPA FIREPLACE. It is designed for new construction applications or a remodel where you want to add a new fireplace or tear out the old one.

We have plenty of retro fit options, like inserts and free standing stoves.

bill, you are misunderstanding the type of appliance that the Quad 7100 is. It is an independent, stand alone, zero-clearance fireplace. It is not a fireplace insert. It is not designed to connect to an existing chimney. Because of this it has very specific installation guidelines to comply with code. Quadrafire sell lots of these units for their correct design usage.

For your installation - and budget - a free standing stove with a nice hearth is probably the best bet. The good news is that opens up a lot of good choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.