Woodburners give you cancer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill throw this out: I am not entirely convinced that cleaner and more efficient stoves wouldn't have come about without the EPA. I like my new EPA stove. I like even more that I should be able to burn less wood every year. But think about this: our economy is largely driven by market demand. Education helps form peoples opinions about things. I didn't quit smoking years ago because of cost. The governments taxes on smokes didn't alter my mind. It was education. And education tells us all that we shouldn't have belching smokey stoves. Its a waste, it stinks and your neighbors wont like it.
So now we are driving this society of "clean air" this and that. Next thing you know, car manufacturers are finding new ways to appeal to that by giving us 40+mpg cars, which is above the standard.
Their creating full size pickup trucks that can get 25mpg. They don't need to do that, they choose to so we give them our money.
If we didn't have the EPA saying you must make stoves cleaner, I am fairly convinced that the market would have gone that way anyways. And the marketing angle would've been "look here! Our stove burns 30% wood less than theirs, produces more heat and wont make your back yard stink"

I'll go even further and say that without all these government agencies that consume tax money thus raising government spending, there might even be more money available for R&D thus producing even better and cleaner stoves at a cheaper price. Its what most people want.

Just a thought.

The only reason the car companies sell economy cars these days is reportedly to offset the poor mileage big sellers. I have a Ford Fiesta which I got real cheap, supposedly Ford sells them at a loss as the 41 MPG offsets the sale of few trucks.

Until my old wood boiler is unrepairable I would be hard pressed to spend 10 K to replace it. I try to run it responsibly but expect I would get higher efficiency and lower pollution but I cant justify it. OWBs were essentially built to get around even basic emission regs for stoves. it was an unregulated market for years and the market evolved into who could make one the cheapest.

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
The only reason the car companies sell economy cars these days is reportedly to offset the poor mileage big sellers. I have a Ford Fiesta which I got real cheap, supposedly Ford sells them at a loss as the 41 MPG offsets the sale of few trucks.

Until my old wood boiler is unrepairable I would be hard pressed to spend 10 K to replace it. I try to run it responsibly but expect I would get higher efficiency and lower pollution but I cant justify it. OWBs were essentially built to get around even basic emission regs for stoves. it was an unregulated market for years and the market evolved into who could make one the cheapest.

That's certainly one way to view it. But if Ford didn't make that fuel efficient car someone else would(and does) and your money would've gone elsewhere.

Everything in moderation
I think man has been cooking meat over a camp fire for quite a number of years. Could be something else in the enviroment causing all these cancers ,plastic exposure ,pesticides ,herbicides ect ect. Im 61 and have been eating this way for most of those years so at the very least if its harmful its slow acting.

The same government that's so concerned about your health is the same one that puts toxic fluoride in your city water.

That's certainly one way to view it. But if Ford didn't make that fuel efficient car someone else would(and does) and your money would've gone elsewhere.

Peakbagger's right about this. The high mileage cars are driven by a demand to sell more profitable gas guzzlers. Without the EPA, car and stove technology would not have advanced so quickly. And that's why the EPA issues standards that must be met. It's a way to accelerate research and development. And it works.

The same government that's so concerned about your health is the same one that puts toxic fluoride in your city water.

i've been running a water system for a long time now, any chemicals you add to water are toxic if too much is added, a good operator monitors and regulates dosages so that this is not an issue. Fluoride is no more toxic in the right dosage than is the chlorine that is used to disinfect the water. sorry end of rant.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
i've been running a water system for a long time now, any chemicals you add to water are toxic if too much is added, a good operator monitors and regulates dosages so that this is not an issue. Fluoride is no more toxic in the right dosage than is the chlorine that is used to disinfect the water. sorry end of rant.

I don't want to drag this out, but what possible reason would they have to put fluoride in water? Some, like me, believe that it is intended to dumb down the population over a generation or two. OF course that's not their official reasoning, and many involved in it might not even know it either. But the people on top of the world pulling the strings have their agenda. And by judging how stupid society seems to be getting, it might be working.
I really don't think they care about your teeth.
The Nazi's did it.

Huh? I thought it helped keep your teeth free of cavities.

Must be working..I never suspected mind control.

what possible reason would they have to put fluoride in water?

Water fluoridation is the controlled addition of fluoride to a public water supply to reduce tooth decay. Fluoridated water contains fluoride at a level that is effective for preventing cavities; this can occur naturally or by adding fluoride.

http://ilikemyteeth.org/fluoridation/health-experts-on-fluoride/

sorry to derail so far from the OP. this is a wood burning forum, if you would like to debate the dumbing down of america through fluoride i am willing to continue it through pm's. though you will find i have my own theories on the dumbing down of america...

My final comment on the fluoride subject is this: You can reference all the sources you want to "prove" your theories and I can dig up just as many that "prove" mine(including lots of proof that fluoride is TOXIC). Sometimes the easiest answer requires simple common sense.
And my common sense tells me that the government and world powers don't give a rats A about my teeth.
There are however, those at top that always seek power. They have convinced some(and obviously you) that drinking toxic poison is ok if its at a slower rate.....because they love you.
You are drinking poison, only at a slower rate. I am thankful to be on well water.

Back to your regularly scheduled program already in progress.....

the best answer here is that we will have to agree to disagree. now back to the subject of smoking meets. do most of you prefer dry rubs or marinades? myself i'm a salt / black pepper and smoke guy.

the best answer here is that we will have to agree to disagree. now back to the subject of smoking meets. do most of you prefer dry rubs or marinades? myself i'm a salt / black pepper and smoke guy.
Sounds like a wrap. That's a conversation best started in the Inglenook.

Status
Not open for further replies.