1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

woodburning as religion?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by woodgeek, Feb 6, 2012.

1. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Well, seems to me this Phd (or whatever he is) has no idea, or
    has totally ignored the fact that the humans on this planet have
    developed newer, cleaner burning solid-fuel stoves & fireplaces
    that DO NOT introduce copius amounts of noxious particles into
    the atmosphere...Just sayin...
  3. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    Someone please explain to me how it is possible that when releasing smoke into the atmosphere 70% of it will be forced back indoors into buildings, while only 30% of it is able to actually escape into the atmosphere.
  4. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    I am very fond of Sam Harris, so I will take up his defense to say this; he aims this is recreational smokers, and he's accurate in that sense. Burning wood in your fireplace is not the wholesome activity folks like to think it is, and people are overly fond of their fireplaces. Also, without knowing the data I would venture to say that most wood stove owners do not burn epa stoves or seasoned wood. Not in my 'holler anyway, where many folks heat with wood.
  5. firebroad

firebroad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    That one boggled me as well. Seems to go against the laws of physics.
  6. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    I knew it was just a matter of time before hitler got mentioned.
  7. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I think my secondaries look like a portal to Hell . . . does this mean I am having a religious experience with my woodstove? ;)
  8. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    As a matter of fact, I DO use the flames to facilitate a state of meditation...
  9. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    is this guy serious?

if it wasnt for the sad fact that many readers will actually accept this as"gospel" (note religion in title).

maybe "O" can use this in his re-election campaign "clinging to their guns , woodstoves, and religion"
  10. potter

potter Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    western NY
    Another fan of Sam Harris. His intent is not really to talk wood stoves, but to illustrate his point. Which as someone who never ceases to be amazed at people's lack of critical thinking and self awareness about the big hoodoo voodoo in the sky, did give me some brief insight into believers gut level reaction to inconvenient facts. And as has been said, I see a lot of smoke rolling out of houses as I drive down the road, people scrounging and cutting wood to burn this winter, etc. No one on this site, I'm sure. But very little smoke from my own (at start up) and I save at least 1500$ a year, so more economics than romance.
    I'm skeptical about a number of his assertions regarding wood stoves, but highly recommend his "Letter to a Christian Nation". And he's equal opportunity critic, no friend of radical Muslims.
    I imagine much damage to people's health happens in the third world from burning, both from smoke in dwellings, and cities.
  11. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It definitely happens here. A neighbor put in a new, stuck on the end of the house fireplace last year. The smoke billowing out of his proud new creation is ridiculous. Maybe he's a Wiccan?
  12. firebroad

Loc:
    Carroll County, MD
    We Wiccans use EPA approved woodstoves. Unless it is an open fire deep in the woods, then you will see billowing smoke, as well as a few dancing booties...
  13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    It is just a fact that even the best wood burners emit more particulate emissions than oil or gas burners. It is silly to try to deny it.
  14. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    gas or oil will have a lower particulate emmission rate thats true, but 70% of exhaust from chimneys end up in neighbor's homes? i'd sure like to have audited that study
  15. Singed Eyebrows

Singed Eyebrows New Member

Loc:
    Midwest
    I though I was burning wood to keep my ass from freezing, who knew? That I was just engaging in an unnecessary leisure activity. In America everyone can afford NG, propane, oil... This must be the America where you skip down the yellow brick road whistling & picking 100 dollar bills off trees, Randy
  16. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    The article is just one more that gives only part of the facts and twists some of those that are given. Sounds like one of the doom and gloom guys. Dang, I didn't know it was a religious act to burn wood either...
  17. StuckInTheMuck

StuckInTheMuck Member

Loc:
    沖縄日本
    "the sight of a glowing hearth should be about as comforting as the sight of a diesel engine idling in your living room." Man, if I could only figure out how to have a diesel engine idling in my living room, I could toss out the TV..... or at least not watch it as much.
  18. CTYank

CTYank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW CT
    Partly applicable. Just don't lump fireplaces in with stoves. They are still
    much greater point sources of pollution than EPA stoves.
  19. gmule

gmule Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Conifer Colorado
    The dead trees on my lot can either burn in my woodstove or they can burn in a forest fire with the live ones. Which burning method emits more smoke at any given time?