1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Woodburning Hall of Shame

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by TradEddie, Apr 24, 2013.

1. ScotO

ScotO Guest

My cousin has one of those green wood eating monsters that he rigged an old furnace pump up to, and he burns waste oil in his.......believe it or not, it actually burns the oil pretty efficiently with very little smoke or smell. The pump only comes on when the furnace calls for heat, so it ain't smoldering all day. I guess if its done correctly, it can work out pretty good.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    I never intended this to be a discussion of burning habits or neighborly responsibilities, just a gallery of the worst offenders. It's not a good time of year, but if you see a bad one next season, remember this thread and post a pic!

TE
    ScotO likes this.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    One of my neighbors is a bad one - I almost took a pic of the vast quantities of smoke exiting their chimney on a recent 60 degree day. I'll snap it next time....
  4. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    Another thought - If Scotty's cousin has a rig that burns up the waste without choking the neighbors, the junk that otherwise might be getting dumped out on the back 40 (or not, guess it depends on the individual) is being put to good use...? Just looking at (for) the bright side...
  5. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Salmon?

Smoked Salmon??