Woodburning stove down draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you notice just on windy days?
Is this a new problem? Have you had new airtight windows installed?
Is it hard to light but alright once you get it going?

Yes, new problem. Weather mild. I've noticed when I turn it up full damper fully across...nothing. I also noticed when the chimney sweep swept it he didn't remove all the bricks. I'm wondering is there a build up of soot behind the back plates which could be hindering the throat plate opening and closing. Don't know! Not burning as it used too. Burning very low.

What was the outdoor temperature? Describe the stove model, flue connection, and chimney setup in detail. It sounds like this is an unlined chimney which could be the issue. Pictures can help.

No difference when vent opened.

20240401_192849.jpg 20240401_192859.jpg

What was the outdoor temperature? Describe the stove and flue setup in detail. Pictures can help.
Heat woodburning multi stove. Galvanised flu full length of chimney and cap on it. Stove working the best until mid last week. Cleaned on Friday, but as said didn't take all bricks out.

20240401_193205.jpg 20240401_193201.jpg

So do you just have a reverse draft? I get these all the time on a cold stove. I just use my grill gun or propane torch up the flue till it straightens out then light it like normal. Once in a great while its bad enough I need to open the basement door a crack. we have a 2 story house and the stoves in the basement so there can be a lot of air moving up sometimes.

Also not sure on that stove but I never pulled anything out of mine when I clean it.

Heat woodburning multi stove. Galvanised flu full length of chimney and cap on it. Stove working the best until mid last week. Cleaned on Friday, but as said didn't take all bricks out.
Galvanized or stainless flue?

So do you just have a reverse draft? I get these all the time on a cold stove. I just use my grill gun or propane torch up the flue till it straightens out then light it like normal. Once in a great while its bad enough I need to open the basement door a crack. we have a 2 story house and the stoves in the basement so there can be a lot of air moving up sometimes.

Also not sure on that stove but I never pulled anything out of mine when I clean it.
Yeah, it would appear so. However, even after being lit for a while and extremely hot when I open the door slightly smoke/ fumes still coming out of door. Also, when opened up full fire does not flare up as usual just stays low. Any ideas Heta stove, with excellent reviews.

Yeah, it would appear so. However, even after being lit for a while and extremely hot when I open the door slightly smoke/ fumes still coming out of door. Also, when opened up full fire does not flare up as usual just stays low. Any ideas Heta stove, with excellent reviews.
bid you test the wood for moister ?

How tall is the flue from stove top to cap?

The flue is what "sucks" on the stove, making air flow in with oxygen for combustion.
A taller flue wil "suck" better (ahem). But warmer outdoors will make it suck less (which is bad in this case).
If your flue is borderline tall enough, and outdoor temps go up, the result might be poor burning, smoke roll out etc.

Or indeed there might be a blockage someplace hindering gas flow.
But generally that's not related to bricks... If there is a baffle (there has to be) there might be stuff laying on the baffle that should have been cleaned out upon sweeping the flue.

Ok so your issue isnt reverse draft its super weak draft.

No idea why that would happen after a chimney cleaning unless it ended up clogged.

Reactions: BillBurns
Is there a removable baffle assembly? Was it removed at the time of cleaning? Is there any chance that a pile of chimney cleaning residue is now sitting up on top of the baffle assembly restricting exhaust flow?
Your pics of the loading door glass look like your burning really wet fuel?? Hard to believe if this just started happening. Even with warmer temps. Hmmmmm.

Reactions: stoveliker
That looks like not enuf air intake, possible bad wood, and/or shutting down too early to cause that much window discoloration.

How tall is this chimney?

How tall is the flue from stove top to cap?

The flue is what "sucks" on the stove, making air flow in with oxygen for combustion.
A taller flue wil "suck" better (ahem). But warmer outdoors will make it suck less (which is bad in this case).
If your flue is borderline tall enough, and outdoor temps go up, the result might be poor burning, smoke roll out etc.

Or indeed there might be a blockage someplace hindering gas flow.
But generally that's not related to bricks... If there is a baffle (there has to be) there might be stuff laying on the baffle that should have been cleaned out upon sweeping the flue.
Cheers, flu 6m from fire to chimney.