1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Woodchuck 2900

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by jarvis, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccwhite

    ccwhite Member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Messages:
    238
    Loc:
    Steubenville, OH
    Hi Jarvis!!

    This is what I did. Only I didn't use any foil. Just a little bit of High temp (RTV?) Silicone. No more troubles with the gasket. I did this on both the main door and the ash door.

    Glad to hear you got her up and running. The smoke alarm game from the shop coat on the stovepipe is fun!! I had the same thing but only got one of my smoke alarms as mine are not linked to each other. That Goodman gas furnace is nice. I've installed quite a few of those. Hope you're happy with your setup ... I'm sure you will be. Thanks for the update.

    Charlie

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. mrhaney

    mrhaney New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Loc:
    ky
    fire the plumber for not using that dag gone clean out thats already there ,your set up looks good nice and safe looking
  3. jarvis

    jarvis New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2009
    Messages:
    26
    Loc:
    midwest
    The gasket problem went away after a few uses. The problem was it was sticking to the furnace when I opened the door, which pulled it out of the groove in the door. But after a couple of heat/cooling cycles the problem went away.

    I had a little more experience with it after I made my post above. Turns out the wood I bought wasn't as dry as I had hoped and I wasn't able to get a decent burn going. My parents had a small amount of wood that had been split and stored inside for several years, so I fired it with that one night last week and had much better results. Once I got it burning strong I was able to heat the house up to 70 degrees (outside temp was in the teens that night). With dry wood and a strong, hot fire my flue temp went up to 400 degrees for a short time, then remained around 350 until the fire started to die down. Never once did I see flames rolling up the heat exchanger pipe and all my heat going up the chimney like my so called plumber claimed would happen. I admit it does look like a goofy design but in reality it seems to work quite well. I doubt I'll fire it anymore this season, I just dont have dry enough wood right now and there's no point in wasting what I have and sooting up the chimney.

    As for the plumber, I wish I had never seen him. He left me sitting for over two months with an unfinished plumbing system so I had no running water and couldn't hire anyone else to finish until I tied up the loose ends with that jerk. I was just about ready to hire a lawyer to get it settled when he finally turned over the paper work and I hired a different contractor to finish so I could move in. Lesson learned....I've warned everyone I know to never do business with that worthless scum bag. One mistake I noticed on the wood furnace, he was supposed to allow 8" clearance above the plenum but he didn't...it's more like 3" the way he built it. So, about all I could do was put a piece of cement board on top of the furnace plenum. It never gets that hot, just warm to the touch when there's a fire going...I imagine that extra clearance is in case of a power failure that could overheat the plenum.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page