Woodchuck timberjack and Lockhart firewood grippers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokedragon

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Greensboro, NC
So I ordered a few items and I just can't believe how much I like them both.

First I got a Woodchuck timberjack. This thing is SOLID aluminum except for the jaw. This thing can be used like a peavey or a cant hook. I pick up wood that has been stacked at the curb for my city to pick up and turn into mulch, and often times the company cuts it into 10 - 12 foot lengths. I have to be able to roll it away from the curb, and this things works wonders for that.

It also has an option to put small diameter logs at waist level for bucking. Tried that today and it works great too. This is the most awesome wood cutting tool I own. If you have to roll logs and work alone a lot like me, this is great.

I also got this firewood grippers (rubber with hooks on both ends). I got them for picking up larger pieces without having to bend as far. They take a little getting use to, and the wood has to be the right size for them to bite, but they work well. I was picking up 80 lb rounds with them, and because they hook to the top of the log, you don't have to bend all the way to the ground.

If you have any questions about either, I would be happy to help. I just got both about 2 weeks ago, and played with them very hard yesterday and today.

pics please

I've been looking at that Woodchuck jack at the Bailey's site. I may just go ahead and grab one.

Are you talking about log tongs?

Here are mine, get the 12" not the 8".

2zz2ner.jpg

fmmhs3.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
pics please

I will get you a picture of both tools in action later this week.

I've been looking at that Woodchuck jack at the Bailey's site. I may just go ahead and grab one.
That is the one I have. I looked at rolling tools from places like Northern Tool and Equipment, and they were cheaper. But they had fiberglass handles. This thing is all aluminum, and it is SOLID. Made in the USA. It is worth the extra money.

I have a few longer pieces to saw in the evenings, and one big hunk of tree that I was planning on getting up this week (if it will EVER STOP RAINING). I will get some pics of it in action and post them on here. So far in using it, my only question has been why on earth I didn't buy it sooner.

Reactions: CenterTree
Ok, so here goes.....these were staged yesterday, but you get the idea.......

Here is the short log lifter (15 - 18")

log lifter short.jpg

Here is the medium log lifter (18 - 22")

log lifter medium.jpg

They actually bite into wood quite well (better than I thought they would). If a log is in the range, they bite every time. The pieces I used them on in the pics are from a dead oak tree, very hard..... they will pick it up fine. Used the orange one to grab a 120 lb round off the trailer, and it held the weight. They bite into green wood even better. In the video on Bailey's site, they show someone loading little pieces into their trailer, I wouldn't use them for that. But to pick up larger pieces and put them on the trailer, it works great (you don't have to bend nearly as far to pick up larger pieces).

Next is the woodchuck

This is in the log rolling position (with the large jaw on top). woodchuck 1.jpg

I have used this on some 6 foot long, 18" diameter logs. Rolls them quite well, lots of leverage. That handle is ALL Aluminum, and you don't feel like it is going to give when you are really pulling on it. I have a larger tree on our property that I need to get up (20 - 26" diameter trunk) and I will really test this thing then. I have not used the timberjack feature (where you roll a log onto it). I just cut 3/4 of the way, then roll it over and finish.

Here it is in the log holder configuration (large jaw on the bottom). This is for if you have limbs that are not cut to size. I had about 20 limbs that I picked up from a tree service, that were cut in 5 - 7ft lengths. Those used to really annoy me because it was so hard to cut them. My old solution was for the wife to hold the log and put it across the side of my trailer. Not any more. This is a 4" diameter log about 6 ft long. The bottom jaw sticks out about 14.5 inches, so my last cut is fairly close to it. It takes some getting used to, as this is a little wobbly, but it beats the heck out of cutting it on the ground.

woodchuck2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Soundchasm
I have the same toys. The Lockhart grippers are great. I've been able to grab and carry rounds much easier with them than anything else I've used. Never lost a rounf not even the first time I used them. My Timberjack seems to be a different model than yours. Mine has a 48" round handle, the feet are different, and as a matter of fact, just about everything about my Woodchuck Timberjack is different. But now that I toggle back and forth between here and Bailey's I see you have the Timberjack Quad and I have the Plain Jane Woodchuck Timberjack. Glad you like yours I'm not thrilled with mine. It's okay but next to useless as a "timber jack" if the ground is not totally dry or frozen because the feet just sink under the weight of the log. But I must say it will hook on and roll a log very well.

The front foot on mine has an attachment that makes it wider. I haven't really used the timberjack part yet, as I prefer just rolling it 180 degrees to finish my cuts. I got it for rolling the logs and for hanging smaller stuff from the yard tree to cut it.

I scrounge a lot of wood, and often will come upon a tree that has been topped. Lots of stuff between 3" and 6" diameter, cut 6-8 feet long. Quick to load, dries out fast, don't have to split (since I do that by hand). The only reason I hated it was that I had to have someone hold it while I cut it. As you can see from my photo, now I don't.

I've never had a yard tree that happy to see me.
That tree should be happy to see me. After the winter we've had, I considered cutting it down a)for heat and b) because it makes getting to my wood pile difficult.

Good thing for that old dogwood that my wife really loves it.

Reactions: TreePointer
I have the Woodchuck that doesnt have the reversible jaws, and I really like it. Made in the USA, feels solid, lifetime warranty, and great customer service. Mine was shipped without the feet on it, and they didnt question it when I called to ask. Said they were rushed with orders, and overnighted the parts, no charge.

Those Lockhart grippers are just what I need. It will be great to pick up and carry 2 chunks at a time.
Thanks for posting the info.
I'm going to order a pair soon.
One question- How critical is the length of the wood to the size of the grippers? In other words, can I get away with an inch or so in either direction?

Those Lockhart grippers are just what I need. It will be great to pick up and carry 2 chunks at a time.
Thanks for posting the info.
I'm going to order a pair soon.
One question- How critical is the length of the wood to the size of the grippers? In other words, can I get away with an inch or so in either direction?

Absolutely......I cut my firewood 16", but many times I scrounge stuff that tree companies cut to drag out of a yard and get weird sizes. The green one says on their site 15 - 18" and it will actually go a little more than that (more like 14 - 19). The greener the wood (or softer the wood) the smaller under that bottom number you can get away with. I tried them on a dead oak tree, and much below 15 they would slip off. On a green pine tree, it would pick up 14 inch pieces all day.

Buy the size that fits what you cut, and + or - and inch you will be fine.

That woodchuck is a neat tool! I like the impromptu "sawbuck" capability

For me, on a fixed income, it's all about the money. The Lockharts do the same thing, more or less, and I bought 2 pair on sale for less than a single Husqvarna carrier. The Husky's are solid and great tools but I believe the Lockhearts will out live me, sooooo........;)

$49.65 each $21,99 each

Hi Smokedragon, I think you might have the log holder configured wrong, I use mine with pin going behind the handle not through one of the holes. You should slide the small red part all the way to the top of the handle so it rests into one of the small notches on the back of the handle.Then use the end of your piece of wood and bump the handle, which will release the claw and it will slide down and hold the wood in position. The reason I noticed is that the end flanges should be holding the end of the wood not the back. It is much more stable and will adjust to different diameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.