Q&A Wooden Chimney Chase is rotting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear webmaster, I built my house 5 years ago, and never had a problem until this year. The driving rains that we have experienced with El neno this year has caused my wooden chimneys to rot. Is this a common problem with wooden chimneys and severe rains. I also live on the gulf toast where it is extremely damp, we have also had tornados this year which is not real common, however Hurricanes are.

Answer:

I assume you are talking about a wood "chase" which is the framing around a metal pre-fab chimney. This is usually built to the same specs as the house frame, and should not leak. Check the "chase cover" or flashing on the top for tightness and seal with silicone around the pipe. Also, check where it is flashed to the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.