Wooden Lintels?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sevots

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2009
south east
Dear All,

What guidance do you have for wooden lintels? I have a Morso 3112 (Badger?) that is squeezed into a fire opening with around 110 mm either side and 120mm up to the lintel. We burn wood in it and it vents to a standard chimney. There is a 4" x 4" oak lintel (reclaimed) that sits above the stove - only 110 mm above the top of the stove. I think it get rather hot, yet my wife tells me not worry as it looks lovely!! I am interested to know if there are guidelines/building regulations for this type of thing. And, whether it is safe? Should I remove the lintel?

Grateful for any help/advice.

Have you checked the required combustible clearances listed in your owner's manual?

Shari

You refer to this piece of Oak as a lintel, yet you describe it as though it's a mantel. Which is it? Is it an integral structural member of the fireplace/chimney, or a non-structural decorative piece attached? In any case, 11 cm above a wood stove sounds to me like it's too close, but I really can't say without more information. A photo would help immensely. What does the manufacturer's documentation for your stove specify as minimum clearances to combustible materials in all directions? Are you within compliance of those requirements? Rick

sevots said:
Dear All,

What guidance do you have for wooden lintels? I have a Morso 3112 (Badger?) that is squeezed into a fire opening with around 110 mm either side and 120mm up to the lintel. We burn wood in it and it vents to a standard chimney. There is a 4" x 4" oak lintel (reclaimed) that sits above the stove - only 110 mm above the top of the stove. I think it get rather hot, yet my wife tells me not worry as it looks lovely!! I am interested to know if there are guidelines/building regulations for this type of thing. And, whether it is safe? Should I remove the lintel?

Grateful for any help/advice.

Although it may look great, wood exposed to high heat over time will see it's ignition point lowered. This is called pyrolysis and need to be watched. As a compromise, have you considered putting a metal heat shield on the bottom of this oak lintel?

Thanks for the replies.

The lintel is decorative ... not structural.
The Morso documents say a clearance of 600 mm (above) to any combustible surfaces.
... I am getting a sense the lintel/mantel has to go!! For peace of mind.

Thanks

Hmm...I'm getting that same sense. :) Rick

Yikes, just did my non-sleepy math. The wood lintel is about 4" above the stove top? On Morso US website I'm reading a minimum of 33" top clearance when this stove is installed in an alcove which would be about 840mm. By all means lose the lintel and any other wood within 20" (500mm) of the sides.

Yikes indeed. And it's a mantel, not a lintel. It's decorative, not structural. It's combustible. It's way too close to the top of the stove. Leave it there and it will one day turn into what lots of Oak turns into...firewood. Just burning in an awkward location. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.