Woodshed Build Progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SJT

Feb 7, 2023
England
Hello folks

I posted earlier in the year over on the sticky thread, back when I'd first bought my timber and was about to get started on an 8x24. But life, work and bad UK weather have all conspired against me so I've still got a way to go on it. I thought I'd start a new thread to post some update pics and perhaps trouble you for some advice as I go.

Happily, the back-breaking work on the foundations is all done. I went for concrete blocks set on a few inches of sharp sand, which I hope will be sufficient for the load they'll have to bear _g. I'm just about finished on the base frame, with all the timbers creosoted and screwed together.

Now it's on to the *really* fun part of putting together the posts, plates and rafters!

IMG_0487.jpgIMG_0807.jpg

Looks like nice work you doing. I'd take this opportunity to drive some rebar or pressure treated 4x4's into the ground to prevent up lift ie strong winds/ tornados / floods etc... I'd also dig 10" down around the perimeter and put wire cloth 12" out from the building and 6" up the new wall. You could do this now and put your sheathing on top of it. Making for a nicer finish. This prevents vermin from digging and living under.

Reactions: SJT and John Galt
I will never understand the desire to build a floor for a wood shed when stacking on pallets is easier, cheaper, and much more efficient in the long run.

Reactions: buc74
What kind of wood are you using?

Looks like nice work you doing. I'd take this opportunity to drive some rebar or pressure treated 4x4's into the ground to prevent up lift ie strong winds/ tornados / floods etc... I'd also dig 10" down around the perimeter and put wire cloth 12" out from the building and 6" up the new wall. You could do this now and put your sheathing on top of it. Making for a nicer finish. This prevents vermin from digging and living under.
I don’t believe they get tornadoes over there. High winds are possible in different areas of the UK.

All kinds of Monday morning quarter-backing going on here. Okay, I'll throw mine in: if you make the shed accessible from two sides, stacking and retrieval of wood to/from it will be infinitely easier.

Other than that, looks good. Not sure why anyone outside a flood plane or tornado alley would need to plant a wood shed into the ground. When filled with 20 - 30,000 lb. of firewood, it's going nowhere. Good excuse to never leave it more than a third empty. ;lol

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I will never understand the desire to build a floor for a wood shed when stacking on pallets is easier, cheaper, and much more efficient in the long run.
I built a floor on mine using used decking timbers I got for free.
We can get bad termites here and there's no way I'm putting timber directly on the ground and risk an infestation.
With the permanent floor I can now forget about it and it'll last forever.

I did a timbered base on mine, but I have no illusions it will last forever. There's no such thing, especially in wood sheds.

Build the floor so it's easily replaced, you will be glad in the future.

I did a timbered base on mine, but I have no illusions it will last forever. There's no such thing, especially in wood sheds.

Build the floor so it's easily replaced, you will be glad in the future.
My floor is steel C purlens with Kwila boards - OK maybe it won't last forever but it'll outlast me.

Reactions: Ashful
Kwila? Is that a hardwood or what?