Woodstock FireView install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a beautiful transformation from beginning to end..

Enjoy the heat :)

DP, that is beautiful. You will love that stove too.

Wow!! the Fireview had exceeded all of my expectations this season. It has kept my house warm & cozy so
far this winter, and we have burned roughly a cord of wood...amazing burning efficiency!
So now I have one question of other Fireview users....are there any parts on the Fireview that wear out over time, some part that I may want to purchase ahead of time?. I am in driving distance of the factory, and plan to head up in that direction in the coming month, so maybe I should pick up some spare parts?

Cheers!! Happy Burn'N
DPB

Reactions: fox9988
Ran my Fireview for about seven years before the PH came out. Only spare part I bought was an extra cat, when I first got the stove, so I'd have one on hand, because of lousy delivery to my home in Ontario. Stupidest thing I ever did. The cat lasted 4 1/2 years (ceramic cat). When I ordered a replacement to have on hand, I got some warrany covearge...and realized that my brand new cat I was installing would be out of warranty in a few months because of when I purchased it. Warranty is from purchase, not from install.:rolleyes: Never had to adjust anything, or replace any gaskets.
I would get a can of stovepaint from them in the color of your trim. That way, if you scratch the pipe during cleaning disassembly (when cleaned from isnide), you can spray paint the flue with a few swipes, and it will look like new.

I'd get their rake, for moving coals in the firebox.
Wish they would make one with the head at 90 degrees to the current design. Would work infinitely better for a side loading stove. Am going to get a smith to make one for me this summer.

Reactions: ddddddden
With the Woodstock vented into the existing fireplace would your insurance company still consider this a freestanding stove or would they consider this an insert? Because I pay extra for a fire place the insert had no extra premium charge however if I installed a free stander the insurance company would hike my premium 10%. I guess this is a question for my insurance guy but what has your insurance company said about installing a stove like the Woodstock into an existing fire place? I want one!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
. . .I am in driving distance of the factory, and plan to head up in that direction in the coming month, so maybe I should pick up some spare parts?

Cheers!! Happy Burn'N
DPB
I'd get some gasket material for the cat and the side door.
Maybe another thermometer.

Enjoy your visit, and sleuth out some info on the new stove(s). :cool:

Wow!! the Fireview had exceeded all of my expectations this season. It has kept my house warm & cozy so
far this winter, and we have burned roughly a cord of wood...amazing burning efficiency!
So now I have one question of other Fireview users....are there any parts on the Fireview that wear out over time, some part that I may want to purchase ahead of time?. I am in driving distance of the factory, and plan to head up in that direction in the coming month, so maybe I should pick up some spare parts?

Cheers!! Happy Burn'N
DPB

Good to hear how the stove performed for you. We've had our stove 6 winters now. I did replace one gasket but it was one which came with the stove and was cut too short. Naturally Woodstock sent gasket material for no charge. We have replaced the cat but I see no need to get one before one is needed.

At one time Woodstock made up a kit that had all gaskets, glue, stove cement, etc, etc but I don't think they have that kit any longer. You could call and ask if interested. But I really see no need for having extra parts and materials sitting around. If something is needed you can get it in a couple days direct from Woodstock so I'd just wait.

Reactions: rideau
Beautiful job on the install... The Fireview is a pleasant stove to own.. They are so nice to run.. Makes burning wood a pleasure,, no fiddling around.. set it and forget it!

I just checked with Woodstock and they do still sell the kits for each stove. It has everything you should ever need at a decent price too.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, and parts ideas, I'll probably pickup spare parts kit, and a CAT the next time I am up near the factory.

I have owned quit a few stoves over the years, and this stove is the easiest to get a fire started, and rekindle a fire from the barest of hot embers!

Anyone have any issues with the pressure screw on the door that keeps a tight seal?
I notice mine tends to be tight when the stove is cool, but when it warm up the catch isn't has tight. I haven't fiddled with the bolt there to tighten it yet, figured I would give it a season, and then adjust some.

DPBurn

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies, and parts ideas, I'll probably pickup spare parts kit, and a CAT the next time I am up near the factory.

Woodstock said:
The EPA warranty on catalytic combustors covers free replacement for the first three years from date of stove shipment. Years 4-6 are pro-rated. Call us at 1-800-866-4344 to order if your stove is less than 6 years old.
http://store.woodstove.com/product.php?productid=16202&cat=265&page=1
Re-read Rideau's post.
The cat is warrantied for 6 years, with free replacement for the first 3 years. Buying a cat now would be a waste of $. Also, the relatively new stainless cats appear to be under continuous improvement, so a cat purchased now may not be as good as the one you would get in, say, 2015.

DPBurn said:
I have owned quite a few stoves over the years, and this stove is the easiest to get a fire started, and rekindle a fire from the barest of hot embers!
+1:)
Some of the credit must go to the excellent draft provided by 25' of insulated liner, but I've dredged up small coals/embers ~24 hours after loading, put some splinters on top, and restarted. I call this technique the Love Mound™, because I scoop the coals up on top of a mound of ashes in the middle of the stove. Note that the Love Mound™ is very delicate, and must be protected with short splits placed N-S on either side, which also helps get the load burning with air flow beneath the load.
So, technically, I could claim 24-hr burns in this stove:), but even when there are a few coals on the bottom, getting the load burning top-down seems to heat up the top of the firebox and the cat sooner, so I often throw 1/4 SuperCedar on top - same as a cold start.

DPBurn said:
Anyone have any issues with the pressure screw on the door that keeps a tight seal?
I notice mine tends to be tight when the stove is cool, but when it warm up the catch isn't as tight. I haven't fiddled with the bolt there to tighten it yet, figured I would give it a season, and then adjust some.
Go ahead and adjust it. It's super easy, like all the regular maintenance on this stove. All you need is a 7/16" or 11mm wrench. The instructions say to use a 1/8" Allen wrench to hold the screw, but you can use a small flat-blade screwdriver or pliers on the end of it, or just use your fingers and allow for some extra rotation of the screw as you tighten the nut. Be aware that this is not a cure-all. That's why I suggested getting spare gasket material for the door. This gasket is probably the first thing you will need to replace on the stove, but maybe not for a few years yet.;)
See Gasket Maintenance Kit p.5
http://www.woodstove.com/maintenance-a-repair

While the kit looks fairly priced, I just don't think that you'll need all of those gaskets anytime soon. You might need a new cat gasket, if you do the vinegar soak to clean it. This interam gasket that goes around the cat is not listed in the maintenance kit. "Under the combustor" is a different gasket that goes below the cat frame.

I have owned quit a few stoves over the years, and this stove is the easiest to get a fire started, and rekindle a fire from the barest of hot embers!

I notice mine tends to be tight when the stove is cool, but when it warm up the catch isn't has tight. I haven't fiddled with the bolt there to tighten it yet, figured I would give it a season, and then adjust some.

DPBurn

Six winters now on our Fireview and no issues with the door. It has never been difficult to turn the handle but nothing leaks out and the gasket is still in good condition. Don't adjust it if you don't need to. In other words, don't try to fix something that is not broken. If it works well, leave it alone.

Checked my Fireview door which is not real tight , thought it would fail the dollar bill test... no sir,,, tight all the way round... I also agree with Dennis, leave well enough alone..

I guess it's just me.
Different stove, but similar door gasket. My gasket was compressing in the bottom corner near the hinge and not sealing tightly(dollar bill test) in the opposite corner above the latch. Tightening the door latch didn't help much. Replaced the gasket and did not use glue/cement, which allowed me to adjust the bunching of the gasket in its channel. Stretched the gasket a bit thinner in the tight corner and bunched it thicker in the opposite corner. Fine-tuned it a lil' on the next few reloads. All good now. :) The key is to leave yourself extra gasket length for bunching where necessary.
Worst case: new door for $35.==c
https://store.woodstove.com/product.php?productid=16191&cat=261&page=1

Well I guess you guys now have me second guessing my need to stock spare parts...maybe some gasket material
would be all I need to have available. In regards to the door latch, I'm not going to touch it until this season is over.
Thanks,
DPburn

Ok...update on this thread that I started back in January. I picked up a Woodstock Fireview from the factory back in April during their spring sale. Got it to the hearth with the help of some friends, and that is were it sat for 5 months. Yesterday a local chimney sweep installed the flue liner, and stove...so now I am ready for this coming wood heating season. Here are a few pictures of the final install., sorry for the picture quality..all I have right now is a IPod.
DP
View attachment 73262View attachment 73263View attachment 73264

Beautiful job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.