Woodstock Fireview Scoop Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DPBurn

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2009
New England
Tonight when I went to put in a few more logs in the stove after it had been running for awhile this piece fell down from the top of the stove, I believe it is the scoop that is suspended under the CAT. The stove is too hot right now to reinstall this scoop. I went to the Woodstock website and the part that fell out is K-801 Fireview Scoop Kit, no where on the Woodstock site can I find instruction how this scoop is secured so it doesn't come free again and fall into the firebox. Tomorrow once the stove has cooled down I want to reinstall this scoop.
Has anyone here removed or installed the Scoop kit, how is it held in place? I see two long cylindrical pieces hanging down, and those apparently go thru the holes in the scoop?
Thank for your help,
Clint

Is this the scoop that is for the steel combustor? What year is the stove. The new scoop has a couple of hairpin cotters the go through the posts that you see. I forget how the older cast iron scoop was secured....maybe bolts.
On the new scoop, just make sure the screen is seating properly across the front top of the screen. Those hairpin clips probably just opened up from the heat, and came out. Find 'em in the ashes (if you haven't shoveled them out already,) close 'em up and re-install. Heck, I've got some bent nails holding in the Buck 91 cat shield right now. ;lol

Reactions: fireview2788
From the description, it's the new stainless scoop.
http://store.woodstove.com/product.php?productid=16703

Tonight when I went to put in a few more logs in the stove after it had been running for awhile this piece fell down from the top of the stove. . .
¡Doh!
Has anyone here removed or installed the Scoop kit, how is it held in place?
I see two long cylindrical pieces hanging down, and those apparently go thru the holes in the scoop?
Bingo! Then secure with a cotter pin through the tip of each post, like Woody said. You can probably source them locally, but I would be worried about getting pins with zinc or something on them that could poison the catalyst. Woodstock would probably be happy to send you some pins.

On the new scoop, just make sure the screen is seating properly across the front top of the screen. . .
+1
Shine a good light through the window so you can see the ridge in the casting where the front of the screen fits. That's the only tricky part to installing the scoop.:)

http://www.woodstove.com/images/edi...ons/modified combustor scoop installation.pdf

Last edited:
Get stainless ones, some hardware stores carry them or a marine dealer. Maybe you knocked them loose during a load up with wood? I have often worried about the clips melting off because they will turn orange but I have yet to have a problem.

If mine ever do go bad I am going to die some threads and install ss nuts and washers, security trumps ease for me.

Those shoulders have a jam nut to adjust install height of the ss scoop. A vise grips is handy for turning he shoulders in or out after the jam nut is loose.

Let us know how it turns out!

I did figured it out that the scoop should be held up by two Harpin cotter pins, I found one in the ash box.
I had a chimney sweep that came this past fall, I doubt he know much about Woodstock stoves, he removed this Scoop during his cleaning..~~~!!, once removed those cotter pins are pretty much toast, soft and brittle, the one I found bends easily, probably after hitting the scoop a few times when loading logs those pins just bent off and fell out. Luckily had a new two pack sitting in the barn that from TSC, not stainless steel, but they'll do in a pinch until I can find some stainless ones.
Thanks for the pointers guys :)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Clint

Maybe monitor your first stage of your burn when the cat is engaged? How much air are you feeding your stove vs the amount of flame in the box?

If I have just charred a fresh load and I have a lot of air on the cat engagement, that scoop and hair pins turn really orange to beet red after a while, I will step the fire down in stages to lower temps and everything settles in.

I takes a few years to really dial in your setup to your chimney, draft wind and type of wood and splits that you feed your woodstock. It is pretty fun to learn and improve on burning practices and your setup.

I did figured it out that the scoop should be held up by two Harpin cotter pins, I found one in the ash box.
I had a chimney sweep that came this past fall, I doubt he know much about Woodstock stoves, he removed this Scoop during his cleaning..~~~!!, once removed those cotter pins are pretty much toast, soft and brittle, the one I found bends easily, probably after hitting the scoop a few times when loading logs those pins just bent off and fell out. Luckily had a new two pack sitting in the barn that from TSC, not stainless steel, but they'll do in a pinch until I can find some stainless ones.
Thanks for the pointers guys :)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Clint

Glad you have found the information you needed Clint. In the future, don't hesitate to call Woodstock at 800-866-4344.

http://www.woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/FireviewPDF-Instructions/modified combustor scoop installation.pdf[/quote]

ddddden, thanks for this PDF file, just what I hoped to find at the woodstock website, would have prevented my initial frustration when the scoop just let go and fell.

Those hairpin cottor pins really take a beating with the heat, and after a year they became very brittle with the consistency of flimsy wire, possibly stainless steel ones will hold up better.

Jdonna, once I engage the CAT I shut the air control back to at least the 1, then slowly try to edge it to less than 1, I try to keep the flame to a minimum once the CAT is engaged.

ddddddden, thanks for this PDF file. . .
No problemø.
It's in their maintenance section.

http://www.woodstove.com/maintenance-a-repair
==c

Those hairpin cottor pins really take a beating with the heat, and after a year they became very brittle with the consistency of flimsy wire, possibly stainless steel ones will hold up better.
Weird. . .I've seen the scoop hot enough to glow many times, and I've removed the pins many times to clean the screen. . .
my pins are still pretty beefy. Maybe try adjusting the height of the posts(drop down a turn or two) for a bit of looseness in the fit of the scoop to allow for thermal expansion. . .

Weird. . .I've seen the scoop hot enough to glow many times, and I've removed the pins many times to clean the screen. . . my pins are still pretty beefy. Maybe try adjusting the height of the posts(drop down a turn or two) for a bit of looseness in the fit of the scoop to allow for thermal expansion. . .

I second that. A full overnight load and the cat at its peak it can be a bit unnerving watching the scoop and pins change many colors. I double checked my pins to make sure the closed end is pointing towards the door. There is no way you can knock one off that way when you load the stove.

The fireview is still way less headache and maintenance than my last stove !

Well to update the issue with the combustor scoop, one of the hairpin cotters that I replaced broke off and
part of it is seized within the hole in one of the support post. It looks likes these parts have all recently been upgraded by Woodstock to stainless steel. Possibly my parts were not stainless and are really taking a beating with the heat. So I think I'll call Woodstock and talk with them and get some of the newer stainless steel parts for the combustor scoop. I've soaked the seized part of the hairpin cotter with pb blaster, and tapped on one of the protruding ends with a small hammer, but so far the broken off hairpin remnant is not budging :confused:

Soak it with a little more PB. Then maybe fashion a small punch (if you don't have one) out of a piece of stout coat hanger or the like, and try to coax it out with that. Or if there's the end of the pin that's sticking out, grab it with a small vise grip and try to turn it to loosen....bit don't break it off. :oops:

Anyone know what size the hairpin cotters are that hold up the scoop pan? There are metric sizes that I'm seeing on the internet, and not sure how those relate to 3/8 inch - 1/2 inch size that seems to fit. I'm looking for some stainless steal hairpin cotters.
BTW, I had to drill out the piece that seized in the post, most likely a dissimilar metal reaction, and or too large a cotter.

I am trying to get a life sized vision in my mind of Tom Morrissey using something other than US standard cotters in one of his stoves. Can't picture it. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.