Woodstock fireview vs Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Hearth Supporter
Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
Wondering about flue temperatures on these two stoves. I have a Steel Nashua wood stove circa 1985 that is built like a tank with a powerful blower. It heats well but needs filling often. I can get plenty of heat with flue temps in the 350 degree range. Question I have is if the new stoves are so efficient why does it seem the flue temps are the same. Can anyone tell me the flue temp on the Oslo and the Fireview. I was at the Woodstock factory today choosing a stove but am holding off as I get this feeling that the Oslo may better suit my needs.
2000 sq. Ft well insulated cape.
Thanks in advance

Dude, can't tell you the flue temps, but either of these two are about perfect for your home size. Pick the one you like better and go with it. I can tell you I'm very impressed with my Oslo, but my buddies Woodstock is a champ as well.

They are both great according to posters. The Woodstock is ornate, it would look incredible in some homes and weird in others. The Oslo is not generic looking but would work in most applications. IMO. You cant go wrong with either.

Jotul Oslo
I wasn't aware a blower fan is available. Anyone use this and how well does it work? Where does the air exit the stove?
Thanks

Steamer said:
Wondering about flue temperatures on these two stoves. I have a Steel Nashua wood stove circa 1985 that is built like a tank with a powerful blower. It heats well but needs filling often. I can get plenty of heat with flue temps in the 350 degree range. Question I have is if the new stoves are so efficient why does it seem the flue temps are the same. Can anyone tell me the flue temp on the Oslo and the Fireview. I was at the Woodstock factory today choosing a stove but am holding off as I get this feeling that the Oslo may better suit my needs.
2000 sq. Ft well insulated cape.
Thanks in advance

I'm not so sure of the reason for this post. It appear that you already have your mind made up.

I monitor my temps pretty closely and the external temps on the Fireview 24" above the stove tend to run about 250-350 depending on how hot you want to run her. Don't know the Jotul temps but I bet they run similar to other non cats and are a bit higher than a cat stove. My old Hearthstone Homestead burned about 300-450.

Don't obsess with flue gas temps as related to efficiency. We know that there must be a minimum to prevent creosote formation and a max for safety. The real efficiency concerns the amount of wood used to make the heat you want and it will be higher with a cat stove. Not so much higher that it matters to most folks but a nice bonus for the cat guys.

The woodstock is only rated to heat like 1600 SF and takes pretty small wood. I would get this stove before a similar sized non-cat because I like soapstone and the technical design of the woodstock.

If you need more heat then you can continue into the jotul line to find a nice big stove.

I don't know of anyone that left the woodstock factory without buying one!

Steamer said:
Jotul Oslo
I wasn't aware a blower fan is available. Anyone use this and how well does it work? Where does the air exit the stove?
Thanks

mounts bottom rear, and requires use of the optional heatshield to make a path for the warmed air... its kinda an afterthought on the radiant cast iron stove.. blows the air out at a 45 degree angle upwards from the top rear of the stove.

Thanks for the information.
I have a real pretty Fireview set aside in the warehouse after looking at about 8 stoves.
Going to get the Fireview.
Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.