Woodstock Fireview What do you think?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VCBurner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2010
Templeton, MA

Attachments

• woodstock fireview.jpg
    woodstock fireview.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 464
Thats a 201 model Fireview so it's at least 14 years old. If it hasn't been fired much and the insides look good I'd think about it.

That looks like our "baby", now heading into its 19th. season in our home. It's served us very reliably.

I expect even a fairly old 201 is worth the money if in good condition but I looked at the ad and the pictures there - I'm suspicious that the metal there isn't painted brown... rather it may all be rusted and as such the buyer may be in for a serious bit of work cleaning it up. IF that is the case, I wonder what shape the internals are in - moving parts etc come to mind. Certainly a new cat can be bought if needed. Some TLC and that stove almost certainly will be a great heater for someone, but that TLC will take some time.

As to price... I realize the list price of a new Fireview is $2800 (close to their "almost $3000" - consider shipping I suppose) but there seems to be a sale running quite frequently, then add in the tax rebate. At the moment the net cost after rebate and sale price of the FV is $1764 so I'd take that as my starting point for "new" in discussions with them and if that is all rust on the stove then I think they should expect a bit less than they are asking. Just my opinion of course - I put a high value on my time and the trouble involved in cleaning something like this up.

Good points Slow1.

Those are indeed excellent points. Let's face it, when you want to sell something you ask top dollar and also have a figure in mind that "you'll settle for". Cash is king and crisp dead presidents can quickly sway a seller's mind.

"surface rust" lol. I have literally pulled tractors out of MN marshes that had been there 20+ years with less surface rust. But that's just elbow grease waiting to be used up. Going to need lots of time with a wire wheel, then paint, if it's not to pitted could turn out OK, but that's ($695) about 3-4 times what I would pay for the joy of doing that much work. And I am the kind of guy who just drug home a 30yo Airstream that needs everything...

Not to mention that the soapstone is very soft (has a very high talc content). So... if you don't disassemble it before you run that wire wheel you had best be VERY steady of hand and careful so you don't go removing a bunch of your stone along with that rust. If you do disassemble the stove to work all those cast parts I imagine it will take some time to re-cement and put it all back together.

Would be a fun project for someone with nothing better to do...

Thank all for your input,

I just got home from cutting and splitting some wood. I cut a tree that was 36" in diameter at the bottom (it was down already) into 18-22" pieces with an 18"Craftsman chain saw (little toy.) Then spit the cuts by hand with a 12lb wedge maul (one of the the big red ones.) It turned out to be almost a cord. Doesn't that sound fun? Well everything hurts now! LOL!!

After reading the posts by Todd, Bobbin, Slow1, Backwoos Savage and Dakotas Dad, sounds like this is a bit overpriced. I thought about offering $500-550. The stove is about 20 years old, so I suppose it would be believable that it has a lot of surface rust. I'll have to check the interior for any cracks or signs of overfiring and the rust situation to make sure it'll be repairable. I really like these stoves and cannot afford a new one. Nor can I afford to buy a money pit. That being said, as long as it doesn't need too much more than rust removal and paint I may consider it.

Thank you all again for all the replies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.