Woodstock IS delivery and install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FeelTheBurn

Sep 6, 2018
Scarborough, Maine
Anybody here have experience finding someone to take delivery and professionally install a Woodstock stove? Bonus points if you've had a good experience with someone in southern Maine!

I'd be ready to pull the trigger on a new WS IS purchase today if they had local dealers that could handle everything from a pre-sale site inspection to delivery and installation, like many other stove brands. Unfortunately they don't, and the install, as well as the logistics of getting a 600+ lb stove from a freight terminal (or even my driveway) into my house are beyond me.

I'd be interested in hearing other non-DIY-types' experience getting a Woodstock stove delivered, installed, and if necessary, supported/serviced. Is the absence of local dealer support going to make a Woodstock stove too much of a hassle to bother with? Or have you been able to find chimney sweeps or local stove dealers that are happy to handle delivery, install, service, etc for Woodstock stoves?

Reactions: ToastyRanch
This time of year, chimney sweeps can afford to be picky. Moving companies should be able to get the stove on the hearth.

Reactions: FeelTheBurn
I called a few locally owned hardware stores until one said they would take it. Then I rented a trailer and had them load it right onto the trailer with a fork lift. We used a winch to pull it off the trailer, I lightened it up as much as possible then 4 people (two of them being my weak ass and my 115lb 5'2" wife) carried it up 7 stairs and inside with over the shoulder moving straps.

Once it was in place the chimney installer hooked it up when they installed the chimney.

I think if it really came down to it and I asked nicely the chimney installer probably could have taken care of it but I'm not sure how much extra he would have charged. Moving companies will be $500+ to get it from the delivery point to the hearth pad.

Do you have any friends, neighbors, or relatives that can help you pick it up and get it in place?

With the economy roaring, it seems like everyone in building, trades, etc can afford to be picky these days. :)

Do you mean the freight shipping company, or are you suggesting I hire some movers to get the stove from the terminal or driveway to the hearth? Woodstock's website discourages residential delivery altogether, so I'm not sure their freight shipper will bring it into my driveway, much less my house.

Woodstock can do delivery to wherever a full semi truck can get to but do discourage home delivery with a lift gate truck. The truck delivery guys definitely wont touch it once its off the truck. You'd need to hire a moving company or any other company that can supply some muscle for a hour plus drive time. Maybe an appliance company can help since they are used to dealing with large bulky stuff?

Do you have stairs to go up or just flat path?

Have you looked at these guys? Not too far away https://www.mainestoveandchimney.com/services/

Haven't tried them yet, but I think it would be a long shot, given that they don't mention stove installs and are mention being busy with existing customers this time of year.

I did get a call back from these guys:
https://billysweetchimneysweep.com/

The gentleman I spoke with sounded very helpful and offered to call me back tomorrow morning to discuss further, as I was driving when he called tonight.

I called a few locally owned hardware stores until one said they would take it. Then I rented a trailer and had them load it right onto the trailer with a fork lift. We used a winch to pull it off the trailer, I lightened it up as much as possible then 4 people (two of them being my weak ass and my 115lb 5'2" wife) carried it up 7 stairs and inside with over the shoulder moving straps.

Once it was in place the chimney installer hooked it up when they installed the chimney.

I think if it really came down to it and I asked nicely the chimney installer probably could have taken care of it but I'm not sure how much extra he would have charged. Moving companies will be $500+ to get it from the delivery point to the hearth pad.

Do you have any friends, neighbors, or relatives that can help you pick it up and get it in place?

If this is going to work out, I need to find somebody I can just hire to handle the whole thing. Otherwise I'll get a different stove with a local dealer to handle it all. I don't want to burden family, friends, and neighbors with moving a 600 lb stove (actually 750 with all the soapstone, plus the shipping crate and packaging) up a couple uneven stone steps as a favor! ;)

Woodstock can do delivery to wherever a full semi truck can get to but do discourage home delivery with a lift gate truck. The truck delivery guys definitely wont touch it once its off the truck. You'd need to hire a moving company or any other company that can supply some muscle for a hour plus drive time. Maybe an appliance company can help since they are used to dealing with large bulky stuff?

Do you have stairs to go up or just flat path?
It's got to up a couple uneven stone steps, or through the garage and up those stairs and then through a couple doors. Not impossible, but definitely a hassle that the delivery guys won't deal with.

A moving company might be a possibility if it doesn't cost too much on top of delivery plus whatever an independent installer is going to charge me. The amount of cost and hassle I'm willing to incur for this stove depends in part on whether I can instead opt for a Blaze King (still working out whether one of those will fit in my existing hearth).

My sister lives in southern Maine, I'll ask her how she pulled it off. She put in a keystone.

I'd be interested in hearing other non-DIY-types' experience getting a Woodstock stove delivered, installed, and if necessary, supported/serviced. Is the absence of local dealer support going to make a Woodstock stove too much of a hassle to bother with? Or have you been able to find chimney sweeps or local stove dealers that are happy to handle delivery, install, service, etc for Woodstock stoves?

As far as Woodstock customer service, I think you will find they are top notch and extremely accomodating. They patiently work with customers to keep their stoves maintained. Personally I prefer working directly with the company/manufacturer rather than having a "middle man".

I do understand for many people they need help with the installation. I eventually found a moving company to get the stove from the driveway to my hearth.

OK, so I called a few dealers for the OP. Most are slammed! A dealer in Yarmouth has said they only install products they sell....however, if you call and ask for a young lady named "Jo", (207-846-9030) she will give you the names of a few local installers that are not brand loyal.
Hope this works out! If you can not get a BK to work, hopefully this will.

BKVP

OK, so I called a few dealers for the OP. Most are slammed! A dealer in Yarmouth has said they only install products they sell....however, if you call and ask for a young lady named "Jo", (207-846-9030) she will give you the names of a few local installers that are not brand loyal.
Hope this works out! If you can not get a BK to work, hopefully this will.

BKVP

Wow, BKVP, you are awesome! FWIW, I actually started my search for a new stove with BK. Unfortunately my hearth area just doesn't have the necessary clearances for any of the 20 or 30 series or Princess that I was considering (confirmed by local dealer site visit).

Their videos are pretty amazing! If I strike out finding someone to handle last mile delivery and install, I might try to rent a pickup truck and one of those stair climbing dollys.
If you can find one to rent it would work. They do take a little bit to get the hang of though.