1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Woodstock transport question

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Havendalefarm, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY
    Talked with woodstock again and was going to put deposit down on refurb Progress Hybrid and thought to ask if it could be loaded into the back of our 95K2500 Suburban. Won't fit by an inch,darn... Wasn't worried about the wieght as I have had a complete 6.5 diesel engine in the back no problem. Wondered if they were being cautious with the size and if it really would fit. Was looking forward to the trip but may have to do something different .Didn't know if anyone had fit one in a Suburban.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fire_man

fire_man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    The Progress is a really big stove, and the crate makes it huge. I'm surprised it only missed by an inch.
  3. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    Why not rent a small trailer? It would probably be easier to unload that way too. Good luck! It's a heavy beast! Think leverage. ;)
  4. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    I bought a Fireview at the factory and transported it in my Suburban, crated. Wanted to do the same with my PH, but it wouldn't fit...by an inch,as you say. There was just no way. So, what I did was get it shipped to Watertown, exchanged vehicles with a friend who had a heavy Ford Pick up, drove to watertown and got the stove and drove home. Works fine in a pick up. I think they have free shipping right now...but maybe only on the new stoves? You could ask them, If you can get it shipped to Watertown, and rent or borrow a pickup truck.....Or, good enough friend, exhange cars for a day and drive to Woodstock with the pick up....maybe a friend with a pickup would even like going with you?
    Drove the pick up to the stairs by the sliding glass door, made a ramp from the back of the pick up to the step platform with some 2x 12 Doug Fir, and moved the stove in.

Addendum: If you do exchange vehicles with a friend, give each other insurance info, and a letter stating the other has permission to use your vehicle, and be sure the registrations are in the vehicles, just incase you run into a routine inspection roadblock or anything....good to have!
    pen likes this.
  5. Sodbuster

Sodbuster New Member

Loc:
    Hartland, MI
    U-haul one way trailer rental, other than that you could always put it on the roof rack ==c
    keninmich likes this.
  6. Havendalefarm

Havendalefarm Member

Loc:
    New Haven ,NY
    I may just see what it would cost to ship it here. I can unload it with the forks on the skid steer.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You should then be able to have it shipped right to your address. When we bought the Fireview, we had it shipped to our tire man. He unloaded it and then loaded it onto our trailer. Worked out nicely.

I still laugh that time we saw a couple from Wisconsin who drove their PT Cruiser to NH to buy a Fireview. It fit!

141.jpg Mike Tracy and Tom.JPG Mike moving stove.jpg
    DexterDay likes this.