woodstove burping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
I have a Fisher (momma) that I burn kiln dried hickory and ash. 4 times this burning season when I open the door there is a Poof that belches smoke into the room.Is something that happens or is it indication that something wrong.
Thanks in advance
Mike

Is your damper closed when you open the door ?

The reason for this is oxygen rushes in and allows the gases to ignite, causing a mini explosion, very common problem though very annoying.

Have you noticed if you have a flame when you open the door ? If you have a flame, the gases are burning and will not allow an explosion.

Fix......? don't damper all the way.......and before you open your door make sure your damper is open, other wise air rushes in causing this.

Robbie

I had a fisher papa bear and boy do those things put out some heat. I too had an issue with the thing back drafting into the house from time to time. Partly was my own fault. the papa bear had an 8" collar but someone welded a 6" adapter to it and when I installed my chimney I went with the 6" pipe. well it worked fine most of the time. I just had to make sure that the chimney was always kept very clean, and I had to remove that wire mesh material on the cap. that helped greatly. then when I opened the door I would just crack it let it flame good for a few seconds to create a good draft then I usually had no problems opening the door. That was a great stove wish I still had it.

P.S. there was a good learning curve with this stove which entailed a house full of smoke more than once.

Yep.. what Craig said... crack the door open a little and wait a few seconds... then open it slowly.

Thanks to everyone who answered my post about burping.....I will be more dilegent in the future
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.