Woodstove in the basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayes10

Mar 1, 2014
New york
Hello I question about getting a woodstove and where to put it. The house had one on the first floor(only 1 floor). There is a existing pipe going out through the roof. I want to put a med sized woodstove in the basement. Question is do i run the pipe straight thru the floor up to the one already there? or run a pipe thru the sill plate and up the back of the house making my own chimney?

Greetings. Only one connection per flue is allowed. The second stove would need a new chimney. Normally this would go through the cement wall. There are clearance issues with going through a sill plate. The connector must be at least 18" from combustibles if single-wall and 8" (from ceiling or joists above) if double-wall. Another option would be to go straight up through the first floor and to the roof with a second chimney that would get enclosed in a chase.

I took out the old stove when we bought the house. So there is no stove yet Im going to buy a new one. The old one was on the first floor. I would like it in the basement. So if im basicly installing from scratch in the basement i could put it where i want within codes and run it right out the cement and into a new chimmeny. Thanks for the input.

The stove is an area heater. It will heat the first floor much better if it is on the 1st floor, particularly if the basement is uninsulated.

Is your basement finished and insulated? If so you might have good luck heating from the basement. If your basement is unfinished and the walls are cement and the floor is cement most here would not recommend trying to heat from the basement.

I heat from the basement but my basement is 80% finished (insulation and dryall up on all walls, drywall only on ceiling). It works well, but I there are air registers from the basement to the 1st floor cut into the floor (from previous owner), and a spiral staircase next to the stove with a ceiling fan directly above it. I would have what I call an idea setup for getting good draft (pushing cold air down, and getting a column of hot air rising.

This year with below zero temps I have been contemplating installing a stove in my upstairs chimney as well. But I am going to see how next winter goes as well. It hasn't been this cold in almost 30-40 years, and last year the stove did just fine no complaints. This year....we still haven't had to turn on the electric baseboard heat but it is much cooler in the house when it is below zero.

@charles1981.Thanks alot your situation is almost like mine. Im not trying to heat my whole house with the woodstove. On the end of my house where i plan on putting the woodstove i have a kitchen that was added on. I completely remodeled and insulated. Much warmer then the year before. So i figure if i install the woodstove down in the basement it will..1) watm the hardwood floors 2) warm the basement 3) air will go up into the kitchen and warm it up. The rest of my house stays warm with the furnance. My basement is about 45% insulated. Thanks agian for the info and opnions.

Usually one wants to put the stove near the stairway to the basement for better convection upstairs. Can you post a simple sketch of the basement and 1st floor layout so that we can see your plan?

Insulating the rest of the basement would greatly reduce heat loss through the walls.

here is my layout .

floorplan.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great.That helps. If the goal is primarily to heat the basement then it should work. The stove location looks close enough to the stairs to get some convection. If the existing chimney goes all the way down to the basement it may be serviceable for the task. It will need to be cleaned and inspected first. Is the plan to drop down a liner in the chimney?

Hayes10, please go the extra mile and have an insulated liner installed, I know its extra $$ but you will mitigated the possible negative stack pressure with a warmer flue "better draft" and you will also have warmer flu temps which can keep creosote build up down.

Is the basement walk out..if not do you have a window or someway to get wood easy into the basement without carry it down from the living area?

Status
Not open for further replies.