Woodstove Stew. it's what's for dinner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
3 1/2 lbs of beef, garlick, a bay leaf, garlick, jalapinios tomatos onion, carrrots, taters. Brown the meat and then simmer on the stove for 7 hours. good stuff. 7 year old didn't seem to dig it but the 11 year old had 2 servings. I had 3.

DavidV said:
3 1/2 lbs of beef, garlick, a bay leaf, garlick, jalapinios tomatos onion, carrrots, taters. Brown the meat and then simmer on the stove for 7 hours. good stuff. 7 year old didn't seem to dig it but the 11 year old had 2 servings. I had 3.

Good practice for when the snow knocks out the electric this week David. Exactly one year to the day since the last snow storm knocked out our lights for seven days it is supposed start coming down tomorrow night.

Hunker down Virginia.

sounds good!

Wife and I made one very similar recently, with the addition of a can of cambells "golden mushroom" soup.

I brewed some mushroom tea on my stove top... wait thats a different forum. Actually i had dinner with shane and his wife tonite. Great company.

Alll of it sounds good except the Mushy tea. I ain't ready to move to the next level of consciousness. BB my wife is pissed that the storm's track has moved north and we are not expected to get anything. She's diein' for a snow day. Ces't levie.

My former Resolute Acclaim we used to heat things or simmer stew. then I learned the hard way one day Blue ceramic stove had a nice enamaled tea pot on top
One day my wife figure whe would add poupori (I know sp) It boiled over and all around the griddle top the stove's ceramic coating began to chip and fall out in little 1/8" squares rendered the stove top into looking ugly. I ended up buying a replacement top which led to just about a total rebuild before I sold the stove.

On ceramic stoves I though I would pass on a bit of experience about what liquid does to it when the stove is hot Should it boil over or spill

Did baked potatoes in the pellet stove last weekend, just oiled them up garlic salt then wrapped in tin foil and placed them either side of the pot. Outsides were a little crispy, but the insides were perfect!

I did my first 'insert' meal (or part of a meal) last weekend. Just a baked potato, but it worked out very well. Since the fire is always going, it's very easy to just catch it at the right stage of coals and toss a couple of foil wrapped potato's in.

All we have done is partially cook soup on top of our wood stove. Lentil soup most recently, and pea soup and vegetable soup before that. Have also heated soup and pasta water on the stove many times. We use a very large glass pot, so no scratching the soapstone, and things don't really get to a rolling boil either. We don't do all the cooking of the soup there, since we don't want to drip water on top of the stove. Just taking the cover off can cause drips from the condensation, so we add ingredients in the kitchen and don't stir much on the stove. I like to add different ingredients at different times.

I am afraid to put potatoes in the firebox, Mr. Griz, maybe I will try that someday. By the way, please note that potato's is possessive (e.g., the potato's skin) - what you mean is potatoes (plural.) And to correct use of apostrophes and spelling in French as well. "C'est la vie" is what DavidV was trying to say. I used to be a teacher, and before that I edited user documents, and before that it was journalism class, and before that winning the school spelling bee. Can't help myself, really. ;-)

Don't feel bad. I failed french I 2 times in high school. I can understand the reaction to improperly used words....I want to choke people, especially journalists, when they say something is "very unique". everyone has their hot buttons.

another great firebox recipe is roasted garlic.....when the stove has been running for a while and has a nice bed of coals (no large burning splits), make a flat landing pad in the coals for an unheated pizza stone. Put the garlic on the stone & brown. Delicious in any dish that uses garlic, one of my favorite being garlic-mashed potatoes (is that grammatically correct? LOL). I also start the potatoes boiling on top of the stove prior to roasting the garlic.

I've always skinned the garlic and drizzled w/ olive oil, but I think the same process works if you leave the skin on then peel after browning.

Don't read any of my post. between bad typing, and missed spelling, and what can I say lack of punctuation.

I have a legitimate excuse check out mixed dominance common symptons are leaving off word endings daaing ending where they should not be ading words forgetting words.

To compensate for additional brain transfere I developed the skill of anticipation. meaning the though process if far beyond the actual words being typed. and I tend to make many typing mistakes. If I go back and proof read a I can correct some but like many I post first. Somehow my thought process allowed me to be quite good in math skills. But got in trouble in HS geometry because I did not write all the steps to arrive at the answers. the answers were correct. I grew up in a very math Scientific home. Math and science were stressed. My father a research Chemist PHD MIT, Older brother PHD MIT, younger Brother PHD in Math. We had a cemistry Lab in our home far superior than any HS lab .By the time I was 12, working with my older brother, I had already done every expeirment one would encounter in high School.

I think so much effort was placed on math and science, that I was disinterested in languagges and didnot accquire all the skills I should have. In my household you had to have a quick mind to compete. I did not compete as much achedemically but channeled my energies into the playing fields Atheletics. My brothers got notarity for achedemics I got the local paper press
for Hockey. the perfect game for my, where the speed requires quick thinking. We had a rink in our home town where it was sold out every Saturday night 5000 strong.
Hockey was like Friday night lights. Former players were part ot the 60 olympic Gold metal at Squar Valley a couple made it to NHL. I remember being pulled over by the police and told I turned the wrong way last Saturday when defending a player. that's how nuts the town was about Hockey. My Parents never miss a game and games were rehashed in the local super market.
Freshmen are not suposed to be in the starting lineup on a state championship team. It was such an honor to make the team Our coach would tell the new commers its ok to wear the uniform to bed . Along with this frenze a little of leeway was cut concerning school work and obtaing grades. It was un written but it was there./

After high school I was told I was too small to play division one Hockey on the College level. Only 2 major Colleges expressed any real interest RPI and NorthEastern. No scholarship money was offered NU promised aid If I made the team. I went there, Made the team and the University reneg the aid. It spent all its money bringing Canadians. I forgot a side trip with unckle sam I just soon forget

Sorry memory got away from me, but That is a pratical explanation why I did not accquire better language skills

Usually I'm pretty good with the grammar; it's the spelling that I really need to work on. I just didn't pick up on it very well when I was a kid and now with the spell checker on everything I'm just too lazy.

There are times when technology robs you of skills you once had. For example, I used to be able to remember phone numbers extremely well. For some reason, even the ones I used infrequently stuck with me. Since the cell phone stores all my numbers, my PDA provides a backup and the home phone has speed dial for the important ones, I can hardly remember my phone number any more.

Wow, did this thread get OT or what.

I did try the roasted garlic and it turned out absolutely wonderful! I think I may try some salmon wrapped in foil this weekend. I used to do it that way on the grill and it always turned out great. Place a salmon fillet in aluminum foil, brush with olive oil, sprinkle a little dill and some lemon pepper on top (sometimes I add a small squeeze of lemon juice also) and plop a chunk or two of butter on top. The secret ingredient is a little weiss beer. It's a bit tricky, as you have to sort of form a boat or pan with the foil before you pour in a bit of beer (just enough to keep things nice and moist and give it a little flavor) and then wrap things up.

Gotta go...Hungry...Thirsty...

elk,

did you eevr konw taht it rlleay deonst matetr wichh way the wrods are seplled a guy can slitl raed it as lnog as the frsit and lsat lteetr are in the crorcet sopt and all the ohter lteerts are iculnedd in the wrod?

yuor fiernd,
brad

HarryBack said:
my P61 dries my underwear to toasty perfection too!

While you are still in them I bet.

To my OT part of the thread -- I understand poor spelling perfectly well, and I always notice it but it doesn't really bother me. I had no trouble reading the thing that guy wrote with all the words spelled wrong on purpose. It is the apostrophes that people use incorrectly and for no apparent reason that annoy me. If you are clueless about apostrophes, don't use them! Better to leave them out than to use punctuation at random.

My husband is extremely dyslexic, and my boyfriend before that was fairly dyslexic. It is just possible that they were attracted to me for my spelling ability, as I edited their important documents for them. When you write, if you can't spell, well, you have to express yourself anyway, so you spell the best you can. I understand that. And spelling programs don't always know what you are trying to say. Hubby spell checks things and then, as a recent example, instead of theoretical it will say theatrical and he thinks that must be the spelling of the word he wanted, so in it goes, with confusing results. So spell wrong all you like, just don't put apostrophes in at random, okay? Thank you. And if you need a document edited, just ask me!

I thought of a wood related analogy. It is like when you see a person chainsawing without any PPE. You can't help but notice and you freak out a little bit and have to say something . . .

I can understand your pain. My GF is a Technical Editor and just destroys anything I type. I try to use spell check most of the time and she still finds things wrong. As Elk said in another post, it justwasnt as important to me in school as auto shop and wood shop. As you will notice I dont use ( ' ) (typed that way because I cant spell it ) LOL

MrGriz said:
Usually I'm pretty good with the grammar; it's the spelling that I really need to work on. I just didn't pick up on it very well when I was a kid and now with the spell checker on everything I'm just too lazy.

There are times when technology robs you of skills you once had. For example, I used to be able to remember phone numbers extremely well. For some reason, even the ones I used infrequently stuck with me. Since the cell phone stores all my numbers, my PDA provides a backup and the home phone has speed dial for the important ones, I can hardly remember my phone number any more.

Wow, did this thread get OT or what.

I did try the roasted garlic and it turned out absolutely wonderful! I think I may try some salmon wrapped in foil this weekend. I used to do it that way on the grill and it always turned out great. Place a salmon fillet in aluminum foil, brush with olive oil, sprinkle a little dill and some lemon pepper on top (sometimes I add a small squeeze of lemon juice also) and plop a chunk or two of butter on top. The secret ingredient is a little weiss beer. It's a bit tricky, as you have to sort of form a boat or pan with the foil before you pour in a bit of beer (just enough to keep things nice and moist and give it a little flavor) and then wrap things up.

Gotta go...Hungry...Thirsty...

I can read the mangled spelling and grammar OK, but it slows me down like slogging through mud rather than walking on solid pavement...

As to the salmon, it does sound pretty good, although the best one I have heard of (but not tried) was some folks that wrap salmon or other fish filets in tinfoil and run the packages through the regular cycle on the top rack of the DISHWASHER! :bug: (soap and dirty dishes optional) It is claimed to work real well, but I'm not a big fish person.

I haven't actually done any cooking on our stove. It has an air jacket all the way around the fire box, so the top doesn't really get hot enough to cook anything on, and I haven't figured out a good way to do something in the firebox that wouldn't let ashes get all over it. I have tried liquefying honey that had gone 'crystal' on me a couple of times. My first effort was putting one of my 60lb (5 gallon) buckets that was about 1/2 full on top of the stove for a day or so. The honey liquified pretty well, but the bottom edge of the bucket was starting to melt - if I hadn't caught it when I did, I might have had a REAL mess on the hearth. The second time was just a partial 2lb bear that had solidified on me, I put it on the front edge of the stove, in the airstream from the blower, and it worked perfectly - went back to liquid in about 20 minutes. (In case folks are wondering, I keep bees when I'm not burning wood...)

Gooserider

I did a baked potato in the insert yesterday. Wrapped it in foil. Thought the foil was going to disintegrate, but it didn't. I think it only needed about a half hour, maybe 45 minutes to bake to near perfection.

My wife, last night, set a cast iron pan on the stove top and put about 6 potatoes in it. Cover for about an hour and a half. The were wonderful, and none of the buring that I have always had with them straight in the coals.

Sove top cookin can be the best meals ever. When I had a small (one man) machine shop there was always a 20qt pot sitting on it with some type of Gruel. Once or twice a week four or five guys would come over and we would make "Stone Soup" I had the Heat,pot and the water. Everyone would bring something or other to put in the stew and in an hour or two there was a feast for all.....some of my best bonding memories
Mike

I have found that using a Trivet on the top of the stove between the pot and the stove will keep beans fron burning while cooking
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.