woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bumblebee

Jun 1, 2018
NB canada
Hi and thank you for accepting me here.
I know this topic has been brought up before but im still unsure.
I have a 1300 sq ft house with a crawl space. wood stove will be located in the kitchen where there is 15ft hight cathedral ceilings, up 4 stepsand ur in the living room/dinning room. in the back theres 2 bedrooms and washroom. theres an upstairs with 2 large bedrooms.
I havent had a winter in here yet but i know theres drafty windows. its not the worst insulation but not the best either, somewhere in the middle id say.
I like it hot in my house. im always cold. when its 20 degrees celcius out i still were a good long sleeve sweather.
I want an overnight burn for shure.Ive had wood stoves in the past but my only experience is with the fisher mama and baby bear.
I was thinking between a super 27 or either the sirocco 20 or 30. I just dont know which one i should get.
thank you

Both are good stoves, one is a simple long burner and the other is a bit more complex longer burner. If you like it hot inside maybe consider comparing a Summit with the Sirocco 30.

get the blaze king, then you can be weird like the rest of us

The summit may be too big if it'll be run all the time. Especially if drafty windows begin to be replaced.

The summit may be too big if it'll be run all the time. Especially if drafty windows begin to be replaced.
Just depends on how one runs it. I have a friend with one in a well insulated 1600 sq ft house. It is their sole source of heat and that is in our climate, though a bit north of here, so more like at the Canadian border and do get into the teens when we are in the mid-20's.

True. One can always use firebricks to make the burn chamber smaller also. The T5 (same as the Super 27) still runs like a dream with a smaller fire box.

True. One can always use firebricks to make the burn chamber smaller also. The T5 (same as the Super 27) still runs like a dream with a smaller fire box.
Yes, my buddy replaced his 2 cu ft Endeavor with the 3 cu ft Summit and tells me he likes it better. They haven't modified the stove in any way.

Hi. I still havent made a choice yet between the sirocco 30 or super 27.
Were im at we do have very cold winters. -25 and lower.
Been reading some rewiews tonight on another site. everyone was very disatisfied with the super 27. something bout low draft, lots of smoke in the house. anyone with that problem?

Been reading some rewiews tonight on another site. everyone was very disatisfied with the super 27. something bout low draft, lots of smoke in the house. anyone with that problem?
Something else is amok with that install. Maybe negative pressure, basement install? PE stoves often work where other stoves won't with weak draft. Send them over here for a review of the install. FWIW The friend with the Summit has his on a 12' chimney with 2 90º turns in the smoke path. Amazingly it works fine.

I like the PE Summit too, you can turn it down some as well, just extend the burn time. The Enviro 1700 is a great choice too, easy drafting easy to run and is a heat beast too. Can't go wrong with either...

Drafty windows, 15 ft ceiling, cold climate. That would have me wanting some reserves. In milder weather one can also just build smaller 4-5 split fires. Then just add a log or two after 6 hrs. The Super will heat the place fine, but it may need supplemental heat for days when temps are in the teens or lower. If low teens are very rare then the Super can get the job done. I would strongly suggest having a ceiling fan at the peak of the high ceiling. Otherwise a lot of heat will pool up at the peak.

The Super/T5 is not a hard stove to operate.

Do a search here. There are 50-100 testimonials on the design here. There may be a bad one, but I can't remember it.

Similarly, I haven't seen one about the Summit/T6.

ok. thank you all. Im always cold no matter what season and it does get real cold here. thinking going for the summit. the sirocco sounds nicetoo but id have to fork out an extra thousand bucks.

I like the PE Summit too, you can turn it down some as well, just extend the burn time. The Enviro 1700 is a great choice too, easy drafting easy to run and is a heat beast too. Can't go wrong with either...

Lets say i went with the summit vs sirocco 30, on those shoulder seasons when temps are no higher than 10 degrees celcius out and nights are frosty, can i run the summit so that its not full on heat?

Lets say i went with the summit vs sirocco 30, on those shoulder seasons when temps are no higher than 10 degrees celcius out and nights are frosty, can i run the summit so that its not full on heat?
Yes. You have control over heat with the amount of air the fire gets and also the amount of fuel it is fed. In the range you are talking about load thick splits for a slower burn and maybe fill the stove only 1/2 to 3/4 capacity. Get a flue thermometer for more accurate control of the stove temp. Many people turn down the stove too late or slowly. That can lead to a very hot initial stove top temp. Turning it down earlier allows the stove to cruise with a stove top temp about 100ºF cooler.

Reactions: stovelark