Woohoo! Friend just called, my wood is almost ready!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Friend, who does some firewood on the side, wanted to make some extra cash. I have a newborn this year and don't have time to scrounge, cut and split like I normally do. He's selling 4 cords that I'll pick up for $120 each. Next year has been taken care of!

Matt and doing the happy dance

How does a newborn slow you down? lol sleep much?

Good for you Matt.....its tough with a newborn around...especially the looks from the Mrs's when the baby is crying and you say "I gotta run out and split some wood" :)
$120 is a great score

First two cords are stacked. They came in about 70% red oak. The other stuff in order of how much I saw was maple, hickory, white birch, a few pieces of poplar, and some rather dense wood that is a bright orange in color. I thought maybe it was cherry heartwood, but I don't think so. I should post pics of it.

Anyway, when I went to pick it up, it was nicely stacked with pallet walls at the end. Pretty neat setup, there is no way a client can say it's not a cord. He must have stacked it incredibly tight though. I think I stack pretty tight and those two cords restacked took up 3 1/2 stacks that are 10 feet long and 5 feet high. Avg. length of 16-18" with some long ones thrown in. (He knows the 30 will swallow a 24" split.) I have a small pile of stuff that was cut shorter than my 14" wide frames or had a big knot or something still left to stack. I have 2 more cords to pick up so I'll wait to get the shorts and odds off the ground. He said that the next 2 cords will be mostly maple.

I had one shock in the process though. The Uhaul I rented could not take as much weight as I wanted it to. I could only do a cord a trip... and it was probably overloaded at that. (hard to tell though, the trailer sat low to the ground to begin with, but there was a good deal of suspension travel left.) I didn't load up the bed of the truck. Going up and down some steep hills burned burned 18 gallons of gas.

Anyway, I've read of many dealers that sell short cords. I had to tell of a firewood dealer who doesn't short on a cord and sells it wickedly tight stacked.

Matt

Good for you Matt. Now enjoy the family.

I used to be very productive and worked at a pretty good pace. Then my daughter was born and it all changed. Now it takes me a week of prep time and meticulous planning to do a 1 hour oil change on my truck.

Wouldn't change it for anything.

Crawling already?! Soon she will be ready to help do some stacking on the woodpile.

EatenByLimestone said:
She started crawling this week. She gets better at it every day. :D

Matt

Soon you'll be at the don't touch, don't do, don't, no, no! stage. :lol: My son is almost 15 months now and he's into everything! I work at a slower pace now but my wife is very understanding when I have work that needs to be done.

My daughter will be 26 this year, and I still find myself wanting occasionally to do the "No, don't...no!...no!" thing with her. But her husband is a good foot taller than I am, with a monster reach...so I just pretty much keep it all to myself. Never really had much effect, anyway. %-P Rick

LOL! She's already helping out by cleaning the coffee table for us. I see plastic plates in my future if I want to eat sandwiches in front of the TV again. This weekend will be spent babyproofing as best we know how. Then I think she will teach us how to do it better.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
...Then I think she will teach us how to do it better.

Count on it. She'll teach you things you can't yet even imagine you need to learn, Dad. :) Rick

fossil said:
Never really had much effect, anyway. %-P Rick

At this point I find this to be 100% accurate. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.