wool material sitting on catalyst flap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

trainifamily

Oct 10, 2022
Ohio
Hello, we have a new Hearthstone Heritage stove. We just cleaned it for the season. This material was sitting loose on top of the catalyst flap inside the top of the stove. It wasn't wrapped around anything. The only oddity we have had last season was two birds getting down into that pipe. Perhaps they knocked something loose. No other oddities. What is this material? Is it gasket ceramic wool, rock wool? Do we need to fix something before we can burn this season? It is a brand new stove installed last December. Thank you. - the wife. :)
IMG_20221010_111701206.jpg

That looks like part of the rear insulation blanket. It is ceramic wool. Yes, it should be replaced.

Reactions: trainifamily
I haven't cleaned this stove but some folks are reporting that they have sucked up this blanket when vacuuming the stove after cleaning. It is listed as the rear baffle blanket (22) in this diagram of the stove.

Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 10.41.15 AM.png

Here is a recent thread on the topic:

Reactions: trainifamily
update:
We were able to get an answer from our installer, Lehman's in Ohio. The ceramic wool (insulation) isn't listed on the specs in the manual because it was added by Hearthstone to meet EPA emissions standards for the Federal Gov't rebate , which is now up to 30% on these stoves.
The ceramic wool just sits centered on top of the baffle. It is not necessary to operate. In fact, we think it might actually operate better without the ceramic wool added to meet emissions standards. I hope this helps others asking.

update:
We were able to get an answer from our installer, Lehman's in Ohio. The ceramic wool (insulation) isn't listed on the specs in the manual because it was added by Hearthstone to meet EPA emissions standards for the Federal Gov't rebate , which is now up to 30% on these stoves.
The ceramic wool just sits centered on top of the baffle. It is not necessary to operate. In fact, we think it might actually operate better without the ceramic wool added to meet emissions standards. I hope this helps others asking.
This is not a good idea. These stoves had significant changes to meet the EPA 2020 regs. Eliminating the blanket voids the stove warranty and alters it's performance. Stop suggesting this. The installer at Lehman's needs to understand suggesting this could get very costly for the company. If I have time I will call their office, but first will contact Hearthstone.

This is not a good idea. These stoves had significant changes to meet the EPA 2020 regs. Eliminating the blanket voids the stove warranty and alters it's performance. Stop suggesting this. The installer at Lehman's needs to understand suggesting this could get very costly for the company. If I have time I will call their office, but first will contact Hearthstone.
Sorry you took me wrong. In fact, the Lehman's installers actually told us how to place the ceramic wook back on the stove and never suggested leaving it out.
I'm not suggesting that Lehman's said it would operate better without the insulation. That is speculation on our part, thus, why we said "we think."

I am still not sure why the Lehman's installer said isn't listed in the specs. The blanket is very clearly shown in the parts manual. Hearthstone publishes those manuals separately for their stoves.

I am still not sure why the Lehman's installer said isn't listed in the specs. The blanket is very clearly shown in the parts manual. Hearthstone publishes those manuals separately for their stoves.
begree, here is the owner's manual. Can you show me where that parts manual is in the owner's manual? I do not see it...hence the confusion on what to do with and how to replace the insulation blanket.