Wooodstove too heavy for the floor? Am I being paranoid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am afraid I cannot give an opinion until I see comparable diagrams using the six linebackers, and 12 semi drunk party goers, in the same space.

Oh, and the rug in the laundry room is very nice, she wants one now..

sks,
Lets see if i got this correctly. You are gonna put in this awsome heavy stove,
with an awsome new hearth and this awsome new system is gonna put out lots of heat ?
Then you're gonna invite all your friends and a bunch of linebackers over to get warm
jumping up and down around this new stove ?
Sounds like you are gonna need more than one brace !
:bug:
sounds like a fun project. You'll know when you get done if you need more support
rn

OK, here is a diagram as my woodstove-install might look during my party of linebackers and strippers. You can see three of the linebackers are doing deep knee bends around my card table while nearby one has already passed out on the floor. The strippers seem a bit bored. It is, sadly, a bit of a sausage-fest in there. However, the linebackers have been hard at work felling three trees outside and stacking up a nice pile of wood. So far the floor has not given way but the night is still young.

Attachments

• 3d_party.jpg
    3d_party.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 227
BrotherBart said:
After I put that six hundred and fifty pound insert in my fireplace in 1985 it was five years before I quit worrying about having a flaming box full of wood fall into my basement.
This year BB, this year.

It's so great that we have computer simulations to work out all the contingencies. In the old days, it would have been very expensive to do this kind of testing. Not to mention the wait time for the special permits.

Two errors with the simulation. It doesn't take physics into account. The room is not hot enough. Once that big boy is burning everyone is going to be naked lying on the floor trying to escape the heat! Also, the guy on the couch appears to have interchanged his foot with the couch's right foot. That could be a problem.

Man, those people look hungry...get 'em all some hot wings or something. :coolsmirk:

Ok, I see now. Solution, column under stove and hearth gets modified to become stripper pole. Strippers now have renewed sense of purpose, commence to doing their thing downstairs. The twig and berries crowd follows, room eventually heats up. Passed out guy stays warm and safe near the stove. Floor is safe due to reduced live load. There you go. ;-)

Beetle-Kill said:
Ok, I see now. Solution, column under stove and hearth gets modified to become stripper pole. Strippers now have renewed sense of purpose, commence to doing their thing downstairs. The twig and berries crowd follows, room eventually heats up. Passed out guy stays warm and safe near the stove. Floor is safe due to reduced live load. There you go. ;-)

NOT SO FAST.

It's a finished basement.. we will need to see current/updated basement floor plans, with action shots, to make sure the proper "buffer" space around the new stripper pole is in effect...

(summer sure does cause it to get slow around here..)

Status
Not open for further replies.