Working Man's Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Well. I've shot myself in the foot. I've bragged about my stove so much that my sister in law and mom both want stoves too. Oh yes, and they want me to do in the install. On to the question. My sister in law has 250 dollar a month gas bills (she's on a budget plan too). So it really makes sense for her. Based on her fireplace dimensions, I've figured that she really needs and insert. Now her house layout consists of two stories with a centrally located staircase. The fireplace however is located on an outside wall in the living room.

So, since I've been so happy with my Englander 30, what recommendations would folks have for a "working man's insert". Can I get a great performing simple to use insert for a lower price as I have with the Englander. I'm not concerned with aesthetics hardly at all. We are looking for simple fair-priced performance here.

Well 250 a month is 6k a year...what about coal. Sure a 30NC will work but if you have to buy wood why not consider coal...a lot less dicking around with coal.

250 a month is $3k/year (4 months $1k). It still sounds a bit high unless the house is poorly insulated and she burns a lot for heating.

The box stores can order the Englander insert. It is pretty much a 13-NC with a surround and blower. Last time I saw one it was around a grand. I have never seen anyplace that stocks them, only special order.

http://englanderstoves.com/images/13-ncilg.jpg

Don't know about the stove recommendation, but along with the bragging, you did mention all the wood hauling, fire tending, ash emptying, etc, right? A wood stove does require more of a time commitment and attention than just about any other form of heat. I'd hate for them to see the big dollar signs of savings and think they could just flip a switch and set a thermostat like gas.

Also - at least around here in the mid west, buying wood is roughly comparable to natural gas prices - assuming you can find an honest wood man, and gas might be a little cheaper if you have a high efficiency furnace. You mentioned $250/month on the budget plan...which i assume is a level pay/same amount every month? That seems like a LOT of gas! I suspect she might wind up hauling/burning/cleaning up after a cord of wood or more each month during the winter. Of course, if you/they have access to cut your own wood - any worries of cost pretty much go out the window.

Anyway, just a few other points to consider....I'd hate to see you limping with both feet :)

An insert like that Englander set all the way back in an outside fireplace...will not heat as well as one that comes out into the room somewhat....or, a stove which sits on the hearth.

I suspect that maybe the "gas" is LP, because natural gas bills are rarely that high. And, yes, she has to figure in the original price, the chimney lining, the wood, etc. etc.

As we like to say, wood is a life style, not just a fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.