Working on my log pile!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter422

Burning Hunk
Aug 24, 2014
Indiana
Bins are full so just stacking up logs for next year. Wasn't sure if I should just stack and leave for next year or split and toss in a pile. Everything here is at about 18% moisture.

P_20150522_125922_1.jpg P_20150522_125939_1.jpg

Reactions: Soundchasm
Really have no where to put it. If I did find space would be on the ground. This is at my friends house and don't want to take up too much room at his place. I live in town so I'm booked solid!!! Maybe just tarp rounds?

Depending what kind of wood it is, how susceptible to rot, I might put it on pallets and top-cover it. I think I see some BL bark there; No need to worry about it rotting.

If you are already at 18/% moisture, top cover it and call it done. After next winter's burn is soon enough to split it and bring it home.

Yeah that pile is all BL so I know it won't get phunky anytime soon. I think only a couple rounds have bark left on them. If it was green I would most definitely split it all up, but with this I know I can split it next spring and will be g2g next winter. I have a lot more where this came from. Just need more room to hoard it all!!!!

I would have to split that ASAP. If not, every hollow round would have ants by next year.

Yeah the hollow ones have ants and wood roaches. Already split 4 truck loads of it. Knocked as much junk out of those hollow ones as I could.

I would get it off the ground. Plastic pallets are great for that, even better with some blocks under them. And in the process would likely get it split.

Probably just top cover and split next spring. Really don't think I have room for more stacks. I have quite a bit split now prob 3-4 years ahead. This stuff won't rot on the ground but might soak up a little h20.... I can live with that. Prob should have stacked the rounds on pallets.

Status
Not open for further replies.